Smithsonian Folkways: Classic African American Gospel
by Various Artists
- Released: January 29, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Smithsonian Folkways
Dirty Linen - p.84"[T]he collection does a good job of representing the genre's history....[With] the Fisk Jubilee Singers, Sonny Terry, Lead Belly, and many more less well-known but still explosive and expressive performers."
- 1.Jesus Going to Make up My Dying Bed - Horace Sprott
- 2.Oh Lord, I'm So Glad I Got Good Religion - Starlight Gospel Singers
- 3.Thank You, Lord - Alvin Dockett / Blessed
- 4.When I Was Sinkin' Down - Fisk University Jubilee Singers
- 5.Just Got Over at Last - Little Brother Montgomery
- 6.Moses Smote the Water - The Thrasher Wonders
- 7.Soon, One Mornin' - Rev. Willie Gresham
- 8.Dry Bones: Ezekiel Saw the Wheel - The Missionary Quartet
- 9.Holy Ghost - Juanita Johnson & The Gospel Tones
- 10.Where Could I Go - Ernestine Washington / Bunk Johnson
- 11.Oh, What a Beautiful City - Sonny Terry
- 12.You've Got to Move - Two Gospel Keys
- 13.Let the Church Say Amen - Elder Charles D. Beck
- 14.I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say - Bishop Bowen / Combined Gospel Choirs
- 15.If I Had My Way - Rev. Gary Davis
- 16.Low Down Death Right Easy - Dock Reed
- 17.He's My Rock - Brother John Sellers
- 18.Hallelujah, It Is Done - Elizabeth Cotten
- 19.We Praise Your Holy Name - The Mississippi Mass Choir
- 20.Don't Let His Name Go Down - First Independent Holy Church of God and Unity
- 21.Go Tell It on the Mountain - Fannie Lou Hamer
- 22.Been in the Storm So Long - Mary Pinckney
- 23.Everytime I Feel the Spirit / Swing Low, Sweet Chariot / They Hung Him on the Cross: Every Time I Feel The Spirit / Swing Low, Sweet Chariot / They Hung Him On The Cross - Leadbelly
- 24.It's Time to Make a Change - Madison's Lively Stones
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
There should be more compilations like CLASSIC AFRICAN AMERICAN GOSPEL by Smithsonian Folkways. Instead of focusing soley on an individual period, this collection compiles classic gospel performances from many different decades to give the listener a holistic picture of the African American gospel experience. From the rustic folk and blues of Elizabeth Cotten and the Reverend Gary Davis to contemporary renderings in modern churches, CLASSIC AFRICAN AMERICAN GOSPEL spans 50 years in 75 minutes and is a great single-disc introduction to one of America's most vibrant musical genres. Includes a 32-page booklet with detailed descriptions of each track and a historic overview of gospel from the Great Awakening forward.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE