- Rated: PG-13
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 22, 2003
- Originally Released: 1966
- Label: Paramount
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Dolby Digital Mono - French
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Selection
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Uncut - 07/01/2004
"Beautifully shot by Lucien Ballard. McQueen is as quietly hypnotic as ever."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Nevada Smith is a rugged innocent boy born in the 1890s during California's gold rush days to a Native American mother and white father. When he finds his parents have been murdered by vicious killers, he sets out to track them down. While the film is a western, and has plenty of action, it is also a powerful and revealing study of the regeneration of a man. In this case a long gunslinger who is so blinded by his compulsion that it obscures any other motive for living. Steve McQueen's dynamic presence as Nevada Smith is memorable.
Based on the characters in Harold Robbins' THE CARPETBAGGERS, this is the story Nevada Smith (Steve McQueen), a half-breed Native American whose parents are viciously murdered by a gang of toughs led by Tom Fitch (Karl Malden). Nevada sets out to kill the gang after being taught to use weapons by Jonas Cord, Sr. (Brian Keith). Nevada kills the first of the gang in a knife fight and commits a crime to get into the prison where the second outlaw is being held and kills him, but that's just the beginning of his difficult journey of vengeance. Veteran director Hathaway (TRUE GRIT) creates a strong vehicle for the rugged McQueen.
- Color by Eastmancolor.
- Additional cast: David McLean (Romero); Steve Mitchell (Buckshot); Merritt Bohn (River Boat Pilot); Ric Roman (Cipriano); John Lawrence (Hogg); and George Mitchell (Paymaster).