The Broadside Tapes, Volume 1
Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs (series)
Only 6 copies left
|You Save:||$11 (65% Off)|
Rare & Hard-to-Find: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 15, 1989
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: Smithsonian Folkways
- 1.Ballad of Alferd Packer
- 2.If I Knew
- 3.Ballad of John Henry Faulk
- 5.On My Way
- 6.Hazard, Kentucky
- 7.The Passing of My Life
- 8.That's the Way It's Gonna Be
- 9.Rivers of the Blood
- 10.Remember Me
- 11.Talking Pay T.V.
- 12.Christine Keeler
- 13.Spanish Civil War Song
- 14.Another Country
- 15.Time Was
- 16.I Should Have Known Better
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Originally released as THE BROADSIDE TAPES LP NO. 14". Recorded 1962-64.
Personnel: Phil Ochs (vocals, guitar).
Editors: Agnes "Sis" Cunningham; Gordon Friesen.
Photographer: David Gahr.
Collecting 16 songs originally recorded for the popular folk music magazine Broadside in 1963 and 1964, Phil Ochs' THE BROADSIDE TAPES, VOLUME ONE captures the young folkie at the very beginning of his career. Few of these songs ever appeared on album during Ochs' lifetime, but they're hardly mere curiosity pieces. From humorous story songs like "The Ballad of Alferd Packer," a tribute to a famous Colorado cannibal, to the topical "Christine Keeler," about the prostitute who nearly brought down the British government in the early '60s, Ochs shows the range that made him one of the folk scene's most influential members. The most fascinating track, though, is the last, a faithful cover of the Beatles' "I Should Have Known Better," which makes the pop orientation of his last three albums seem like much less of a departure. Though some of these recordings are of less than stellar audio quality, they're still musically essential.
Generations of Folk, Volume 2 - Protest & Politics (CD)
Out of StockSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 17,457
- UPC: 093074000823
- Shipping Weight: 0.21/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Top ranking titles in the Folk genre:
- Burl Ives The Best of Little Bitty Tear (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Kingston Trio Greatest Hits (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- Peter, Paul and Mary The Very Best of Peter, Paul & Mary (CD) ~ $16.13 on SALE
- The Kingston Trio 45th Anniversary (DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Burl Ives Pearly Shells (Popo O Ewa) / A Little Bitty Tear (45) ~ $1 on SALE