Woody Guthrie Songs to Grow on for Mother and Child
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$14.81 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.17 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: April 16, 1991
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: Smithsonian Folkways
Musician - 7/93, p.93"...In this era of Songs R Us, as Raffi wannabes multiply like cells of a virus, it's heartening to discover that Woody Guthrie was making tunes for tots earlier, funnier and better..."
- 1.Grassy Grass Grass (Grow, Grow, Grow)
- 2.Swimmy Swim
- 3.Little Sugar (Little Saka Sugar)
- 4.Rattle My Rattle
- 5.I Want My Milk (I Want It Now)
- 6.1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- 7.One Old Day
- 8.Wash-y Wash Wash (Warshy Little Tootsy)
- 9.I'll Eat You, I'll Drink You
- 10.Make A Blobble
- 11.Who's My Pretty Baby (Hey Pretty Baby)
- 12.I'll Write And I'll Draw
- 13.Why, Oh Why
- 14.Pick It Up
- 15.Pretty And Shiny-O
- 16.Needle Sing
- 18.Goodnight Little Arlo (Goodnight Little Darlin')
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Producer: Moses Asch.
Reissue producers: Anthony Seeger, Matt Walters.
Originally released on Folkways (7015) in 1956 and (7016) in 1985.
Digitally remastered by Joe Gastwirt (Ocean View Digital, West Los Angeles, California).
Personnel: Woody Guthrie (vocals, guitar).
Audio Remasterer: Joe Gastwirt.
Woody Guthrie wrote more songs in his lifetime than most people ever sing. Fortunately, he also found time to turn his attentions towards writing songs especially for parents and children. The lovely thing about these nursery-rhyme-like songs is that they display a refreshing lack of sentimentality, abounding instead with a sense of "let's get loose" fun.
Guthrie clearly understands the special relationship between parent and child. He always keeps the emotional tone honest and in the moment. These songs are never heavy, but the power of these miniatures is far from lightweight. Guthrie accompanies himself on acoustic guitar or, as on the slyly philosophical opener ("Grassy Grass Grass"), with drums on the tabletop. The feeling of spontaneity and exuberance in these stripped-down performances exemplifies the folk stance that not only "anyone can sing" but "everyone should sing."
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 1-4 (CD)
$6.37 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 15 ratings.
Based on 15 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE