The Country Gentlemen On the Road
|You Save:||$1.70 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Released: April 24, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Smithsonian Folkways
No Depression - 7-8/01, pp.111-2"...Demonstrates their knack for injecting an urbane and mildly risquT brand of humor not only into their stage patter, but into the songs themselves..."
- 1.Handsome Molly
- 2.The Sunny Side of Life
- 3.Poor Ellen Smith
- 4.Long Black Veil
- 5.Grandfather's Clock
- 6.Ain't Got No Home
- 8.Little Glass of Wine
- 9.Walking in Jerusalem ( Just Like John)
- 10.I Am a Pilgrim
- 11.A Letter to Tom
- 12.Raw Hide
- 13.Blue Ridge Mountain Blues
- 14.I Ain't Gonna Work Tomorrow
- 15.A Letter to Tom
- 16.John Hardy
- 17.The Fields Have Turned Brown
- 18.These Men of God
- 19.Little Sparrow
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
The Country Gentleman includes: Bill Emerson, Charlie Waller, John Duffey.
Includes liner notes by Les McIntyre.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Recording information: Antoch College (09/??/1961-01/06/1963); Carnegie Hall, New York, NY (09/??/1961-01/06/1963); Sacred Mushroom, Columbus, OH (09/??/1961-01/06/1963).
Photographers: Tom Gray; Charlie Waller.
Arranger: Eddie Adcock.
Continuing in their now feverish quest to reissue every single thing Moses Asch ever released on CD, the folks at Smithsonian have pulled from the catalog a true gem, added six more tracks, and given it to listeners to marvel over. The Country Gentlemen were the inspiration for pickers from Norman Blake to Clarence White to Tony Rice and every third-generation member in Del McCoury's band -- not to mention the New Grass Revival and David Grisman. The original album was a compilation of the best moments of two concerts in 1962 and 1963, respectively; the Smithsonian added six tracks from a third concert in 1963 to round out the time and offer a further glimpse into the mysterious, passionate musicality of the band. This is a live document of the band at the beginning of their maturity, with a style already etched in stone. Here is the perfect blending of folk music, country music, and bluegrass, all offered to an American public who was rediscovering its own folk traditions musically. This obviously knocked out a young Bob Dylan who continues to cover the Gentlemen's version of "Handsome Molly." Banjoist Eddie Adcock, guitarist and lead vocalist Charlie Waller, mandolin player John Duffey, and bassist Tom Gray worked through folk songs like a bluegrass band and bluegrass tunes like an old-timey string band full of ballad singers. Their version of "Long Black Veil" on this record is what made Johnny Cash decide to cut it for himself. The instrumental "Heartaches" is literally a fusion of bluegrass and gypsy swing reads through a blues idiom, and their reading of their "I Am a Pilgrim" is the most bluesed-out reading that worn hymn will ever get. It is also the finest example of the gorgeous vocal harmony between Duffey and Waller. There are no sharp spots in their midst, just pure vocal consonance. This record is an awesome example of the radical yet beautiful and respectful shift of Bill Monroe's bluegrass creation to a more expansive view of the same tradition that was just as soulful, just as pure. ~ Thom Jurek
The Country GentlemenThe Early Rebel Recordings 1962-1971 (4-CD Box Set)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Keep on Going: The Rebel & Melodeon Recordings (CD)
$15.08 Super Savings
Lonesome and Blue: The Complete County Recordings (CD)
$15.08 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Roots (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Early Rock & Roll (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE