The Country Gentlemen Going Back to the Blue Ridge Mountains
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.70 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: May 22, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Smithsonian Folkways
Dirty Linen - p.56"Their unique harmonies and fast-paced picking are put to good use on songs ranging from 'Muleskinner Blues' to 'Dark as a Dungeon' to 'Copper Kettle'..."
- 1.Going Back To The Blue Ridge Mountains
- 2.Going To The Races
- 3.Azzuro Campana
- 4.Dark As A Dungeon
- 5.Copper Kettle
- 6.Billy In The Low Ground
- 7.I Saw The Light
- 8.Tom Dooley #2
- 9.Brown Mountain Light
- 11.Daybreak In Dixie
- 12.Mary Dear
- 13.Sad And Lonesome
- 14.Cripple Creek
- 15.Don't This Road Look Rough And Rocky
- 16.Muleskinner Blues
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
The Country Gentlemen: Eddie Adcock, John Duffey, Tom Gray, Charlie Waller.
Liner Note Author: Jon Hartley Fox.
Photographers: Ann Milovsoroff; Carl Fleischhauer; Charles Tompkins.
Arrangers: Eddie Adcock; John Duffey; Pete Kuykendall.
Originally released on Folkways in 1973, Going Back to the Blue Ridge Mountains captures 16 songs performed live by the "classic" Country Gentlemen. The circumstances surrounding this recording are shady; the location is unknown, and the date is speculated to be somewhere in the mid-'60s. Whenever and wherever this disc was made, the sound quality is sharp and the folks in the crowd, whoever they are, sound like they're having a good time. The songs themselves are somewhat tame compared to the progressive bluegrass this group is generally known for; signature tunes such as "Two Little Boys" are missing and a host of bluegrass standards like "Tom Dooley," "Cripple Creek," and "Mary Dear" make up the bulk of the recording. But if the track listing is nothing to write home about, the Country Gentlemen certainly do these songs justice. John Duffey is in top form here, cracking jokes ("For those folks who've just arrived, we're the Country Gentlemen -- better known as the Beatles of the Stone Age") and plucking up a storm on his mandolin. Seeing how the group's signature work isn't represented here, Going Back probably isn't the best entry point for newcomers to the Country Gentlemen's catalog. But tracks like "Dark as a Dungeon," "Electricity," and "I Saw the Light" all offer excellent reasons for fans to mosey through this reissue, if only because the Country Gentlemen sound like they're having such a great time. ~ Margaret Reges
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Keep on Going: The Rebel & Melodeon Recordings (CD)
$15.08 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Freddy Fender Before The Next Teardrop Falls (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Charlie Rich Early Years / The Memphis Sound (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Fun: 43-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE