- Released: May 18, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Smithsonian Folkways
Dirty Linen - 2-3/00, p.74
"...a fine singer in the old style, [he] does a good job of varying the instrumentation and arrangements within his scope. The songs themselves, and the copious notes, are very interesting..."
- 1.Free Elections
- 2.Follow Washington
- 3.Adams and Liberty
- 4.For Jefferson and Liberty
- 5.Huzzah for Madison, Huzzah
- 6.Monroe Is the Man
- 7.Little Know Ye Who's Coming
- 8.Jackson and Kentucky
- 9.Rock-A-Bye Baby
- 10.Harrison Yankee Doodle, The (William H. Harrison)
- 11.Tippecanoe and Tyler, Too!
- 12.Jimmie Polk of Tennessee
- 13.Rum a Dum Dum
- 14.The Union Wagon
- 15.Pierce and King
- 16.Buchanan and John Breckenridge
- 17.Lincoln and Liberty Too
- 18.Just Before Election, Andy
- 19.Grant, Grant, Grant
- 20.For Hayes and Wheeler Too
- 21.If the Johnnies Get into Power Again
- 22.Democrats, Good Democrats
- 23.He's All Right
- 24.Marching with McKinley
- 25.Roosevelt the Cry
- 26.Get on a Raft with Taft
- 27.Wilson, That's All
- 28.Harding, You're the Man for Us
- 29.Keep Cool and Keep Coolidge
- 30.If He's Good Enough for Lindy
- 31.Franklin D. Roosevelt's Back Again
- 32.I'm Just Wild About Harry
- 33.I Like Ike
- 34.Marching Down to Washington
- 35.Hello, Lyndon
- 36.Buckle Down with Nixon
- 37.I'm Feeling Good About America
- 38.Why Not the Best?
- 39.California, Here We Come
- 40.This Land Is Your Land
- 41.Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow
- 42.Same Merry-Go-Round, The (Third Party)
- 43.Song of the Presidents
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
This is an updated re-recording of Oscar Brand's 1952 Folkways LP of campaign songs.
Personnel: Oscar Brand (vocals, guitar); John Foley (vocals, guitar); Jonathan Pickow (vocals, banjo, synthesizer); Jordan Brand (vocals, bass).
Includes liner notes by Anthony Seeger and Oscar Brand.
Recording information: 1998.
One of the most thoroughly unique folk records released in 1999, Presidential Campaigning Songs: 1789-1996 is also a thorough and unique look at America's political history. Folk singer Oscar Brand sings campaign songs for each president, from "Follow Washington" to Clinton's campaign theme, Fleetwood Mac's "Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow" (simply titled "Don't Stop" on Mac releases). Along with tracing America's political currents, Presidential Campaigning Songs also documents the changing importance of songs in a campaign. The earliest songs, like "For Jefferson and Liberty" and John Q. Adams' "Little Know Ye Who's Coming," reflect the newness of the U.S. and how fresh the struggle for liberty was in people's minds at the time. Similarly, the songs from the Roaring '20s era, such as "Keep Cool and Keep Coolidge" and Warren G. Harding's "If He's Good Enough for Lindy" evoke the decade's free-and-easy prosperity. An important and well-crafted historical document, Presidential Campaigning Songs educates and entertains in equal measure. ~ Heather Phares
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 105,983
- UPC: 093074505120
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item