Luiz Bonfa Solo in Rio 1959 (Live)
- Released: February 22, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Smithsonian Folkways
The Wire - p.72"[A] mixture of intellectual rigour and sensuality that dovetails neatly with a well-tailored caipirinha."
Down Beat - p.58"[T]his is a little gem of subtle sambas and natural eroticism that seems to go to the heart of the Brazilian ideal with a refreshing and unfiltered purity."
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Pernambuco
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Night and Day
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Shearing
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Sambolero
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Calypso Minor
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Uma Prece
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Bonfabuloso
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Quebra Mar
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Luzes do Rio
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Perdido de Amor
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Manha de Carnaval
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Amor Sem Adeus
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Varia‡oes em Violao
- $0.99 on iTunes14.Seringueiro
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Chopin
- $0.99 on iTunes16.Na Baiza do Sapateiro
- $0.99 on iTunes17.Murder
- $0.99 on iTunes18.A Brazilian in New York
- $0.99 on iTunes19.Prelude to Adventure in Space
- $0.99 on iTunes20.Tenderly
- $0.99 on iTunes21.Blue Madrid
- $0.99 on iTunes22.Marcha Escocesa
- $0.99 on iTunes23.Fanfarra (Fanfare)
- $0.99 on iTunes24.Samba de Orfeu
- $0.99 on iTunes25.Manha de Carnaval 2
- $0.99 on iTunes26.Perdido de Amor 2
- $0.99 on iTunes27.Sambolero 2
- $0.99 on iTunes28.Quebra Mar 2
- $0.99 on iTunes29.Seringueiro Excerpt
- $0.99 on iTunes30.Seringueiro 2
- $0.99 on iTunes31.Luzes do Rio 2
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Adapter: Eduardo Muszkat.
Liner Note Author: Anthony Weller.
Recording information: 1959.
Editor: Carla Borden.
Photographer: Luiz Novaes Bonf .
Unknown Contributor Role: Pete Reiniger.
Solo in Rio 1959 stands as a classic in the massive Luiz Bonfa catalog. Originally issued on the Cook label -- named for its owner, famed audio engineer Emory Cook -- it remained a favorite of the guitarist's throughout his lifetime. The Emory Cook Collection is housed and managed by the Smithsonian and as such, Folkways is able to re-release this masterpiece on CD with many added treasures -- there is an additional half-hour of music on the CD. The original featured 17 cuts. The new version contains 32, including an early version of "Samba de Orfeu." While it is true that it is the guitarist and composer's most famous composition and he recorded it many times, this is the only one on solo guitar. This is the first time it appears anywhere. Also included are two versions of the celebrated "Manha de Carnaval." The second read is a more up-tempo and shorter version that is breathless in its beauty. Other well-known Bonfa compositions that have alternates here are "Perdido de Amor," "Sambolero," "Quebra Maer," and "Luzes do Rio." Another gem is the startling "Prelude to an Adventure in Space," with its hard swinging samba that transmutes into a dirge-like bolero on a dime. Solo in Rio 1959 offers an early hearing of Bonfa as fully developed, in possession of a stunning range of styles and techniques, all of them employable in the service of the song. The deep lyricism and harmonic richness of Bonfa's playing is unlike anything else before or since. Solo in Rio 1959 is a historic release, and one that will hopefully alert an entirely new generation to the work of this master of the guitar. In addition to the beautifully remastered music in this package, there is a fine biographical and musicological essay by Anthony Weller. ~ Thom Jurek
Black Orpheus (Criterion, Art House Collection) (DVD)(99)
$15.96 Super Savings
Black Orpheus (Criterion Collection) (Subtitled) (DVD)(151)
$25.58 Super Savings
Composer of Black Orpheus Plays and Sings Bossa Nova (CD)
Out of StockSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 13 ratings.
Based on 13 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!