Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 55 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 28, 2012
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Imports
- Encoding: Region [unknown]
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 10/30/1992
"...[March] is wonderful here....THE LOVER is a very good movie..."
Based on the autobiographical novel by Marguerite Duras, an erotic and sensitive story of a young French school girl who embarks on a torrid love affair with a wealthy Chinese man in 1929 French Colonial Vietnam. Consumed by desire, they cling to each other, even though fate and society dictates that they may never wed. Academy Award Nominations: Best Cinematography. Available in "R" and Unedited versions.
Indochina, 1929. On a ferry a 27-year-old Chinese man spots an alluring but poor French teenager. They soon begin a forbidden but fiercely passionate romance. While the man truly loves the girl, she remains aloof, for her involvement with him is more out of rebellion towards her family -- and for sexual excitement -- rather than love. However when the gentleman is forced to marry a woman chosen by his parents, the young girl realizes she may have lost the true love of her life...
Doomed Lovers |
Period Piece |
- Filmed on location in Vietnam.
- Film debut for Jane March.
- French actress Jeanne Moreau narrates as author Marguerite Duras.
- The Unrated, 115-minute version of "The Lover" is the "Original International Version."