Jeannie C. Riley Harper Valley P.T.A.
Only 6 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$6.66 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.32 (17% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Lynn Anderson ~ 16 Biggest Hits ~ $7.19
- by Donna Fargo ~ The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection ~ $4.31
- by Bobbie Gentry ~ Greatest Hits ~ $13.25
- Harper Valley P.T.A. ~ $4.89
- by Jeannie C. Riley ~ Very Best of Harper Valley P.T.A. ~ $10.98 (Save 27%)
- Released: February 20, 1997
- Label: Sun Entertainment
- 1.Harper Valley PTA
- 2.Widow Jones
- 3.Sippin' Shirley Thompson
- 4.No Brass Band
- 5.Shed Me No Tears
- 6.Mr. Harper
- 7.Ballad of Louise
- 8.Run Jeannie Run
Personnel includes: Jeannie C. Riley (vocals, acoustic guitar); Jerry G. Kennedy (dobro).
Recorded at Columbia Studio A, Nashville, Tennessee.
Digitally remastered by M.C. Rather & Hollis Flatt (Custom Mastering, Nashville, Tennessee.)
Personnel: Jeannie C. Riley (vocals); Jerry G. Kennedy (dobro).
The album based on the multimillion-selling title track is a fine recording that goes beyond the obvious attraction to the Tom T. Hall classic. It comes across nearly as a concept album that mirrors life in a small town in all its faults and tribulations, though not all songs make direct reference to Harper Valley. At the center of all this is the underrated voice of Jeannie C. Riley, which has the right combination of strength, sass, and vulnerability to make the songs come alive. The listener is treated to songs detailing the characters mentioned in the hit title song, such as Mr. Harper, Widow Jones (who comes across as the worst of the three), and Shirley Thompson. Musically, many of the songs seem almost a copy of "Harper Valley P.T.A," but they usually work because each has its own distinct story to tell, and the sincerity of Riley's voice reinforces the tales well. "No Brass Band" is a welcome change from the formula, and paints the detailed story of a family's dreams that go unfulfilled. There is also fine Dobro work by "Jerry Kennedy," and the production of "Shelby Singleton" keeps to a harder country sound that avoids the pitfalls of strings and unnecessary vocal backgrounds. ~ Michael Ofjord
Harper Valley P.T.A.: The Plantation Recordings 1968-70... (CD)(29)
$9.90 Super Savings
Country Music America: Jeannie C. Riley / Faron Young /... (DVD)(2)
$9.49 Super Savings
Harper Valley P.T.A.: The Plantation Recordings 1968-70... (CD)
$12.35 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 16 ratings.
Based on 16 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The King of Country Music: The Complete Foundation... (CD)
$334.79 Super Savings
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)(5)
$19.98 on SALE
Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD)(8)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Duane Eddy Duane A Go Go Go / Duane Eddy Does Bob Dylan (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Doo Wop 45s On CD, Volume 3 ~ $1.98 on SALE