The Knickerbockers Jerk & Twine Time
- Released: October 12, 1993
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Sundazed Music Inc.
- 1.You Really Got Me
- 2.All Day and All of the Night
- 3.Money (That's What I Want)
- 4.The Jolly Green Giant
- 5.Twine Time
- 6.Land of 1000 Dances
- 7.The "In" Crowd
- 8.The Jerk
- 9.Jerk Town
- 10.She's Not There
- 11.Downtown - (bonus track)
- 12.Limbo Rock - (bonus track)
- 13.In the Misty Moonlight - (bonus track)
- 14.Beau and John Charles Talk About the Knickerbockers - (bonus track)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
The Knickerbockers: Beau Charles (guitar), Buddy Randell (saxophone, vocals), John Charles (bass), Jimmy Walker (drums, vocals).
Originally released on Challenge (LP 621). Includes liner notes by Jerry Fuller.
Personnel: Beau Charles (vocals, guitar); Jimmy Walker (vocals, drums); Buddy Randell (saxophone).
Liner Note Author: Jerry Fuller.
Even if you're a dedicated collector, you should think twice about chasing down this album, which consists almost entirely of British Invasion and R&B covers in the frat rock style and not done especially well. There is a certain level of ambition here, in the cover of the Zombies' "She's Not There," that's not entirely realized, but the mere fact of this LP's release in 1965 may well have inspired a few frat bands and garage bands whose members rightfully believed they could generate better (and more interesting) covers of the British Invasion tunes here -- so it was probably all to the good at the time, if not worth too much in itself. One also suspects -- given their relative success elsewhere -- that the Knickerbockers were capable of generating a lot more excitement in their playing when they had an audience to work in front of, and probably just couldn't rouse their best instincts in a studio setting. The reissue -- without any annotation -- at least makes it easy to hear. And the three bonus tracks (including the interview with two members) make the CD marginally more interesting than the vinyl was in any respect except as an artifact of its time, and this release therefore merits a very slightly higher rating than the original LP. ~ Richie Unterberger & Bruce Eder
Nuggets: Original Artyfacts From The First Psychedelic Era,... (CD)(188)
One Track Mind: The Garage Pop Sound of the Knickerbockers (CD)(3)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of ? And The Mysterians (Cameo Parkway) (CD)(20)
$11.65 Super Savings
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N... (CD)(5)
$4.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- The Invaders On The Right Track (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Stowaways ...In Our Time (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE