- Released: May 6, 2003
- Label: New World Music
- 1.Silk Road :: Shichu No Michi
- 2.Bell Tower :: Shoro
- 3.Heavenly Father :: Tenchi Sohzo Shin
- 4.Great River, The :: Harukanaru Taiga
- 5.Great Wall of China, The :: Chohjo
- 6.Flying Celestial Nymphs :: Hiten
- 7.Silk Road Fantasy :: Silk Road Genso
- 8.Shimmering Light :: Kikari To Kage
- 9.Westbound :: Nishi Ni Mukkatte
- 10.Time :: Toki No Nagare
- 11.Bodhisattva :: Bosatsu
- 12.Everlasting Road :: Towa No Michi
SILK ROAD VOLUME 1 is taken from Kitaro's score for the television documentary "Silk Road." SILK ROAD VOLUMES 1 and 2 are also available as a 2 CD set (see seperate listing).
Solo performer: Kitaro (acoustic guitar, Mellotron, synthesizer, bell, percussion, quena, santur, programming).
Digitally remastered by Doug Sacks and Gavin Lurssen (The Mastering Lab).
Personnel: Kitaro (guitar, acoustic guitar, quena, Mellotron, synthesizer, Moog synthesizer, drums, percussion, programming).
Audio Mixers: Masayoshi Ohkawa; Kitaro.
Audio Remasterers: Doug Sachs; Gavin Lurssen.
Recording information: Kitaro's Kamakura And Miasa Studios.
Photographers: S. Ohtsuka; Y. Takara.
Kitaro has released numerous recordings of merit within his vast oeuvre, but few are of as high a quality as SILK ROAD. Recorded in 1980 (before his signing to Geffen started the avalanche), there are many moments of timeless beauty throughout, interlaced with some gentle guitar picking and shifting Eastern flute tones. The beautiful tranquillity that is SILK ROAD makes for an often becalming aural narcotic, the occasional ingestion of which might just soothe the soul.