Norman Greenbaum The Best of Norman Greenbaum: Spirit in the Sky
|You Save:||$1.20 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- by Five Man Electrical Band ~ Absolutely Right (Best Of) ~ $16.98
- by The Zombies ~ Absolutely the Best ~ $12.58
- by Mungo Jerry ~ In the Summertime: The Best of Mungo Jerry [Import] ~ $6.46
- by Brewer & Shipley ~ One Toke Over The Line: The Best of Brewer & Shipley ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Canned Heat ~ The Very Best of Canned Heat [Capitol] ~ $10.60
- Released: October 24, 1995
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Varese Fontana
- 1.Spirit in the Sky
- 3.Daddy I Know
- 4.Hook and Ladder
- 6.Canned Ham
- 8.California Earthquake
- 9.The Day the Well Went Dry
- 12.The Eggplant That Ate Chicago
- 13.Back Home Again
- 14.Day They Sold Beer in Church, The - (previously unreleased)
- 15.Gondoliers, Shakespeares, Overseers, Playboys and Bums
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Audio Remasterer: Bill Inglot.
Liner Note Author: Wayne Jancik.
Photographer: Henry Diltz.
"Spirit in the Sky" was a classic one-shot hit: an unforgettable fuzz guitar riff, those eerie descending glissando psychedelic guitar effects, a soulful female backup chorus, and a rare gospel-rock song that explored a religious theme without sounding dogmatic or sappy. Greenbaum had more depth than the usual one-shot artist, but the fact is that he never came up with anything else remotely on the level of "Spirit in the Sky," as this 15-song anthology demonstrates. He was a witty, droll songwriter with slightly absurd tunes that didn't quite descend into novelty, as on "Canned Ham" and "The Day the Well Went Dry." Selections from his early-'70s Reprise albums comprise most of half of this disc, and they're amiable, mildly humorous good-time rock that isn't even as penetrating as the rawer and goofier stuff he did before his solo career as the leader of Dr. West's Medicine Show & Junk Band. Four Dr. West songs are on this CD, including the minor 1966 hit "The Eggplant That Ate Chicago," as well as a previously unreleased 1977 recording, "The Day They Sold Beer in Church." ~ Richie Unterberger
Ultimate Hits of the 70s/80s/90s (3-CD Bundle Pack)
$16.98 on SALE
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N... (CD)(5)
$4.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 22 ratings.
Based on 22 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!