Clarence Williams Whoop It Up! Volume 1: 1927-1929
- Released: February 13, 2007
- Label: Document
- 1.Nobody But My Baby Is Getting My Love
- 2.Candy Lips
- 3.Cushion Foot Stomp
- 4.P.D.Q. Blues
- 5.Anywhere Sweetie Goees (I'll Be There)
- 6.Cushion Foot Stomp
- 7.Cushion Foot Stomp
- 8.Take You Balck Bottom Outside
- 9.Yama Yama Blues
- 10.(Norfolk) Church Street Sobbin' Blues
- 11.Sweet Emmanlina
- 12.Log Cabin Blues
- 13.Shake It Down
- 14.Red River Blues
- 15.Walk That Broad
- 16.Have You Ever Felt That Way?
- 17.Mississippi Blues (Home Town Toddle)
- 18.Steamboat Days
- 19.In Our Cottage Of Love
- 20.Lazy Mama
- 21.High Society
- 22.Whoop It Up
- 23.You've Got To Give Me Some
- 24.I've Got What It Takes
- 25.You Don't Understand
Composer: Clarence Williams.
Clarence Williams: Bennie Moten (Clavinet); Ed Allen, Floyd Casey.
Personnel: Clarence Williams (vocals, piano); Clarence Williams; Clarence Lee, Margaret Webster (vocals); Arville Harris (clarinet, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Buster Bailey (clarinet, alto saxophone); Bennie Moten (clarinet); Charlie Gaines (trumpet); Ed Allen, King Oliver (cornet); James P. Johnson (piano, celesta); Claude Hopkins (piano); Floyd Casey (washboard).
Audio Remasterer: Alan Taylor.
Liner Note Authors: Joe Moore ; Joe Moore.
Recording information: New York, NY (01/29/1927-11/19/1929).
Though the Louisiana musician and music entrepreneur Clarence Williams may have made little lasting impact as an instrumentalist, his strengths lay in his seemingly boundless energy as a bandleader, some of which is conveyed in these hugely enjoyable recordings from the apex of the Jazz Age. An early promoter of such leading lights of 1920s jazz as the pianists James P. Johnson and Fats Waller, he was also frequently accompanied on recordings by the likes of the clarinetist and saxophonist Sidney Bechet, and musical titan Louis Armstrong. The sprightly "Nobody But My Baby Is Getting My Love" and the uninhibited scat singing on "Candy Lips," as well as the gorgeous slow ragtime of "P.D.Q. Blues," are just a few of the rare delights to be found on this set, which gathers the cream of Williams's recordings from near the end of the decade.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE