- Released: February 1, 1992
- Label: Document
- 1.My Black Mama - (Part I)
- 2.My Black Mama - (Part II)
- 3.Preachin' The Blues - (Part I)
- 4.Preachin' The Blues - (Part II)
- 5.Dry Spell Blues - (Part I)
- 6.Dry Spell Blues - (Part II)
- 7.Walkin' Blues
- 8.M & O Blues
- 9.Future Blues - Willie Brown
- 10.Mississippi Bottom Blues
- 11.Rowdy Blues
- 12.Cottonfield Blues - (Part I)
- 13.Cottonfield Blues - (Part II)
- 14.Dough Roller Blues
- 15.Jumpin' And Shoutin' Blues
- 16.Fare Thee Well Blues
- 17.Traveling Mama Blues
- 18.Bedside Blues
- 19.Outside Woman Blues
- 20.Nehi Blues
- 21.Married Man Blues
- 22.Third Street Woman Blues
- 23.Mississippi Jailhouse Groan
- 24.Ham Hound Crave
Recorded between 1928 & 1930. Includes liner notes by Bob Groom.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Son House (vocals, guitar); Reverend Rubin Lacy, Garfield Akers, Jim Thompkins, Joe Calicott, Kid Bailey, Willie Brown, Blind Joe Reynolds, Blind Willie Reynolds (vocals, guitar); Ralph Lembo (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Bob Groom.
Complete Recorded Works of Son House & The Great Delta Blues Singers isn't entirely devoted to Son House -- there are cuts by several other musicians, including Willie Brown, Garfield Akers, Rube Lacey and Joe Calicott -- but this disc, which contains a complete 1930 session, is the best place to get his earliest songs ("My Black Mama," "Preachin' the Blues," "Dry Spell Blues"), which remain among his masterworks. ~ Thom Owens