Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 54 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 7, 2012
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Touchstone / Disney
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Conversations with Writer/Co-Writer John Cusack and Director Stephen Frears
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English, French, Spanish
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Natasha Gregson Wagner,
Beverly D'Angelo &
John Cusack &
Tim Bevan &
Director of Photography:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Do I listen to pop music because I'm miserable' Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music'"
- Rob (John Cusack), in voice-over
"We're no longer called Sonic Death Monkey. We're on the verge of becoming Kathleen Turner Overdrive, but just for tonight, we are Barry Jive and His Uptown Five."
- Barry (Jack Black), introducing his band
Premiere - 05/??/2000
"...HIGH FIDELITY is a solid, entertaining, and often very funny piece of work..."
"...A trenchantly witty and acutely insightful script....[John Cusack gives a] fresh, fearless and ferociously funny lead performance..."
Movieline's Hollywood Life - 09/01/2000
"...Fueled by high-octane writing and wickedly comic performances..."
Total Film - 08/01/2000
"...Cool....Funny and insightful..." -- 4 out of 5 stars
New York Times - 03/31/2000
"...[A] witty, exquisitely fine-tuned adaptation of Nick Hornby's 1995 novel....The movie is sparked by more than half a dozen incisive performances..."
Box Office - 05/01/2000
"...A ruthlessly truthful and deviously smart comedy....Black's hilariously vitriolic rock snob Barry is especially impressive -- a long overdue breakthrough role for a very deserving talent..."
Los Angeles Times - 03/31/2000
"...HIGH FIDELITY is a sharp and satisfying romantic comedy about the difficulty of commitment....The film's music is expertly chosen..."
Rolling Stone - 11/27/2003
"...[A] superb adaptation....With wit and attention to record-geek trivia intact..."
Nick Hornby's popular novel makes the shift from London to Chicago in this Hollywood adaptation from the writing team responsible for GROSSE POINT BLANK. John Cusack stars as Rob, a thirtysomething record store owner who searches for the answer to the seemingly impossible question: Does he listen to pop music because he feels miserable, or is the music the cause of his misery' As he humorously deals with his store's pathetic employees (Jack Black and Todd Louiso), he embarks on a mission to track down his Top Five Worst Breakups to discover where things went wrong between himself and his girlfriend Laura (Iben Hjejle). Given director Stephen Frears's sure hand and Cusack's strong lead performance, HIGH FIDELITY is a funny and compelling look at growing up and falling in love.
Based On A Novel |
Romantic Comedy |
- John Cusack and director Stephen Frears previously worked together on THE GRIFTERS.
- Jack Black, who plays Barry, is the lead singer of the band Tenacious D.
- Vintage Vinyl, a record store mentioned in the film, is a real store in Evaston, IL, John Cusack's hometown.
- Bruce Springsteen makes a surprise cameo in the film as himself.
- Roger Ebert (EBERT AND ROEPER AND THE MOVIES) and Desson Howe of the Washington Post named HIGH FIDELITY one of the 10 best films of 2000.
- John Cusack was nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture--Musical or Comedy.