Sings the Burton Lane Songbook, Volume 1
Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs (series)
- All "ZSM" coded CDs are in new and never-played condition. Most are sealed. However, product may have manufacturer's delete notch, drill hole, prior sale stickers, or worn or missing OUTER wrap.
- Released: October 2, 1990
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: Nonesuch
Stereo Review (1/91) - Performance "Fine" / Recording "Excellent" - "...a definite winner."
- 1.Applause, Applause
- 2.Dancing on a Dime
- 3.Babes on Broadway
- 4.Anything Can Happen in New York
- 5.How About You
- 6.Babes on Broadway - (reprise)
- 7.I Can Hardly Wait
- 8.How Could You Believe Me When I Said I Loved You When You Know I've Been a Liar All My Life
- 9.And Suddenly It's Christmas
- 10.Too Late Now
- 11.You're All the World to Me
- 12.Moments Like This
- 13.How'dja Like to Love Me?
- 14.One More Walk Around the Garden
- 15.In Our United State
- 16.How Are Things in Glocca Morra
- 17.Old Devil Moon
- 18.When I'm Not Near the Girl I Love
- 19.Look to the Rainbow
- 20.If This Isn't Love
The first in a series of albums in which Michael Feinstein records the work of important songwriters with the songwriter accompanying him.
Burton Lane wrote dozens of songs for Broadway and the movies, including "How Are Things in Glocca Morra", "Old Devil Moon", "Too Late Now" and "How About You?".
Though Michael Feinstein had previously devoted an entire album to one songwriter, this album marked the formal beginning of his Songbook series, and he worked closely with Broadway and Hollywood composer Burton Lane, who accompanied him on piano and duetted on the leadoff track, "Applause, Applause." In addition to performing such familiar Lane works as "How Are Things In Glocca Morra?" (as part of a Finian's Rainbow medley), "How About You?" (as part of a Babes on Broadway medley), and "How Could You Believe Me When I Said I Love You When You Know I've Been a Liar All My Life," Feinstein also premiered two new Lane compositions, "I Can Hardly Wait" (lyrics by Alan and Marilyn Bergman) and "And Suddenly It's Christmas" (lyrics by Ervin Drake). Since Lane never attracted the kind of anthologies devoted to the work of his peers, this album is especially valuable. Note, however, that Lane's best-known song, "On a Clear Day You Can See Forever," is missing. ~ William Ruhlmann
And That Reminds Me / A Date With Della Reese (CD)(6)
$2.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE