Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Run Time: 2 hours, 16 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 20, 2010
- Originally Released: 1983
- Note: "La Voix Du Peuple Wajda Dans La Fièvre Révolutionnaire" (42 min) documentaire de Pierre-Henri Gibert, avec les témoignages de Andrzej Wajda, Jean-Claude Carrière, Margaret Ménégoz, Yvonne Sassinot de Nesle, Jean Prodromidès et Wojciech Pszoniak
- "L'Affaire David" (8 min) Jean-Claude Carrière évoque le rocambolesque destin de David, rebespierriste fervent et futur peintre officiel de Napoléon
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.66
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, French
- Subtitles - English, French
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 09/28/1983
"...DANTON brilliantly illuminates one of the most fascinating periods of the French Revolution....A major work from this major film maker."
Sight and Sound - 04/01/2006
"[I]t's hard not to warm to Depardieu's performance. He is all warmth and instinct..."
A dramatic metaphor for the revolutionary events unfolding in his native Poland, Andrzej Wajda's adaptation of Stanislawa Przybyszewska's play is a brilliant account of the struggle of the two leaders of the French Revolution to control the country's future. Gérard Depardieu stars as Danton, who has retired to his country estate after having been supplanted as head of the Committee for Public Safety by Robespierre (Wojciech Psoniak). But with the commencement of the Reign of Terror, Danton returns to Paris in November 1793 in the hope that he can stem the tide of bloodshed unleashed by his former ally. Confident that his rhetorical skills and the high esteem in which he is held by the French people will cause them to rise up against the brutal ruling regime, Danton is stunned to find them pauperized by the recent war with Austria and cowed by the ubiquity of Robespierre's minions. Behind closed doors, Danton's attempts to act as a mediator between warring factions are met with cold indifference by the rigidly obsessive Robespierre. Anchored by exceptional performances by Depardieu and Psoniak and featuring exceptional photography and art direction, Wajda's coruscating epic is a masterpiece of reimagined history.
An epic slice of French revolutionary history, DANTON depicts the struggle between the two leaders of the French Republic, Danton and Robespierre.
Period Piece |
Theatrical Release |
- Produced in association with SFPC, Film Polski, X Production Group of Warsaw, with the participation of the Ministry of Culture (Paris) and Les Filmes Moliére.