- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 32 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 28, 2010
- Originally Released: 1960
- Label: Ais
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Wall Street Journal - 10/30/2009
"[C]harmingly lurid....Douglas Slocombe did the elegant cinematography."
After being drummed out of the medical profession, the brilliant plastic surgeon Dr. Goethe takes over a small travelling circus. Using his unique skills, the doctor transforms a number of disfigured women with criminal pasts into great beauties, and then blackmails them into performing in his circus. Any woman who attempts to leave meets with a horrible "accident," which draws the attention of Scotland Yard and leads to the doctor's downfall.
A plastic surgeon with the skill of a butcher is forced into hiding after one of his patients is horribly disfigured. He acquires a run-down circus, and amuses audiences with planned "accidents" in which performers are violently killed.
Cult Film |
Mad Doctor |
Theatrical Release |
- Billy Smart's Circus was used to make "Circus of Horrors."
- Additional cast: Vanda Hudson (as Magda), Colette Wilde (Evelyn Morley), John Merivale (Edward Finsbury), Carla Challoner (Nicole [child]), Chris Christian (Ringmaster), Sasha Coco (Luis), Jack Carson (Chief Eagle Eye), Malcolm Watson (Elderly Man), Kenneth Warren (1st Roustabout), and Fred Haggerty (2nd Roustabout).
- Filmed in Eastmancolor.