Lonnie Johnson The Complete Recorded Works, Volume 1: 1937-1940
Only 4 copies left
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$15.16 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.82 (16% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Lonnie Johnson ~ Blues & Ballads ~ $9.88
- by Mississippi Sheiks ~ Honey Babe Let the Deal Go Down: The Best of the Mississippi Sheiks ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- Released: November 1, 1992
- Label: Document
- 1.Man Killing Broad
- 2.Hard Times Ain't Gone No Where
- 3.Flood Water Blues
- 4.It Ain't What You USTA Be
- 5.Swing Out Rhythm
- 6.Got the Blues for the West End
- 7.Something Fishy
- 8.I'm Nuts over You
- 9.Friendless and Blue
- 10.Devil's Got the Blues
- 11.I Ain't Gonna Be Your Fool
- 12.Mr. Johnson's Swing
- 13.New Falling Rain Blues
- 14.Laplegged Drunk Again
- 15.Blue Ghost Blues
- 16.South Bound Backwater
- 17.Why Women Go Wrong
- 18.She's Only a Woman
- 19.She's My Mary
- 20.Nothing But a Rat
- 21.Trust Your Husband
- 22.Jersey Belle Blues
- 23.The Loveless Blues
- 24.Four-O-Three Blues
- 25.Be Careful
- 26.I'm Just Dumb
- 27.Don't Be a Fool
Personnel includes: Lonnie Johnson (vocals, guitar); Roosevelt Sykes, Josh Altheimer (piano).
Recorded in New York, New York and Chicago, Illinois between 1937 and 1940.
Includes liner notes by Chris Smith.
Personnel: Lonnie Johnson (vocals, guitar); Joshua Altheimer, Roosevelt Sykes (piano).
Liner Note Author: Chris Smith .
Recording information: Chicago, IL (11/08/1937-05/22/1940); New York, NY (11/08/1937-05/22/1940).
Lonnie Johnson was off records for five years during 1932-1937, working in Cleveland with Putney Dandridge, appearing on the radio, and working outside of music. In 1937, he moved to Chicago, where he returned to full-time music and began recording regularly for the Decca label. Three Document CDs cover his work of 1937-1947. This CD features Johnson as a solo blues performer (showcasing his guitar on instrumental versions of "Swing Out Rhythm" and "Got the Blues for the West End") and singing such numbers as "Flood Water Blues," "Devil's Got the Blues," and "Blue Ghost Blues." Some numbers have Johnson joined by either Roosevelt Sykes or Joshua Altheimer on piano along with a few unknown musicians. Rarely reissued, these performances are consistently excellent. ~ Scott Yanow
The Very Best of King / Federal / Deluxe, Volume 1 (CD)
$11.03 LABOR DAY
The Henry Glover Story, Volume 1: 1947-1951 (2-CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE