Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 33 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 31, 2012
- Originally Released: 2011
- Label: Criterion
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: New Interview with actor André Wilms
- Fooage from the 2011 Cannes Film Festival, including a press conference and a French television interview with cast and crew
- Finnish television interview with actress Kati Outinen from 2011
- Concert Footage of Little Bob, the musician featured in the film
- Plus: a Booklet featuring an essay by film critic Michael Sicinski and a 2011 conversation between Kaurismäki and Film Historian Peter von Bagh
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - French
- DTS HD Master Audio - French
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Box Office - 06/10/2011
4 stars out of 5 -- "With authentic performances from many of the director's regular coterie of actors, it lifts the spirits."
New York Times - 10/21/2011
"[A] tale of lower-depths solidarity, a stylized and sentimental fairy tale about the way the world might be, grounded in a frank recognition of the way it is....LE HAVRE is also a love letter to France..."
Wall Street Journal - 10/21/2011
"[A] Finnish filmmaker's tribute, in French, to the glory days of French cinema....With a bountiful supply of visual and verbal references that manage to enrich the film without interrupting its flow."
Los Angeles Times - 10/21/2011
"LE HAVRE joins Kaurismaki's unmistakable stylistic flourishes with two things that are relatively new to his repertory: an over social conscience and a sweet-natured fairy tale sensibility."
Movieline - 10/20/2011
"Frame by frame, it's a marvel of lighting -- the images look soft and bright at once, as if old Hollywood craftsmanship had been happily wed with modern straightforwardness and simplicity."
Entertainment Weekly - 11/10/2011
"[A] perfect, deadpan, impishly optimistic fairy tale about French tolerance from the great Finnish filmmaker Aki Kaurismaki." -- Grade: A
Washington Post - 12/09/2011
4 stars out of 4 -- "Alternately lighthearted and deeply spiritually grounded....A fanciful fable, all the more affecting for being so tethered to the urgencies of the real world."
Total Film - 05/01/2012
4 stars out of 5 -- "[A] warm-hearted salute to both classical French cinema and working-class solidarity."
Sight and Sound - 05/01/2012
"Kaurismaki displays a sustained grace in negotiating the boundary between bathos and true poignancy....Its thoughtfully evoked political context and subtle moral ambiguity lend it texture and depth."
Aki Kaurismaki's LA HAVRE stars Andre Wilms as Marcel, a free-spirited, good-natured writer who is currently making a living as a shoeshiner. He meets Idrissa (Blondin Miguel), an African refugee and helps the young man hide from officials who want him deported., Meanwhile, Marcel's loving wife suffers from a serious illness.