- Released: March 20, 2006
- Label: Tzadik
The Wire - p.56
"Here Haino and Ruins percussionist Yoshida rebuild a radically reinvented rock structure from the ground up....NEW RAP showcases the intense interplay of Haino's jabbering guitar and otherworldly vocals with Yoshida's astounding drumming."
- 1.Houston Street - (with Keiji Haino)
- 2.West Broadway - (with Keiji Haino)
- 3.Tompkins Square - (with Keiji Haino)
- 4.Lower East Side - (with Keiji Haino)
- 5.W. 48th Street - (with Keiji Haino)
- 6.Avenue D - (with Keiji Haino)
- 7.East Village - (with Keiji Haino)
- 8.Chinatown - (with Keiji Haino)
- 9.Canal Street - (with Keiji Haino)
Keiji Haino: Keiji Haino (vocals, guitar); Tatsuya Yoshida.
Personnel: Haino Keiji (vocals, guitar); Tatsuya Yoshida (drums).
Recording information: Orange Music, NJ (2005).
Photographer: Scott Irvine .
Avant-garde guitarist Keiji Haino's partnership with Ruins drummer and founder member Tatsuyo Yoshida is, as you'd expect, an ear-splitting, mind-bending atonal and percussive onslaught. Yoshida's splintered drumming is more than a match for Haino's bizarre, disjointed guitar and vocal rants--but though you'd never categorize this music as sensitive, it's thought-provoking and frequently surprisingly empathetic. And, though the tracks are named after well-known Manhattan thoroughfares, nervous visitors may be assured that they're rarely as chaotic as they're sonically portrayed here.