Bessemer Sunset Four Complete Recorded Works (1928-1930)
- Released: June 3, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Document
- 1.Ham and Eggs
- 2.Mighty Day
- 3.Rollin' Down to Jordan
- 4.Heaven Is My View
- 5.Lord I'm Troubled
- 6.In the Valley of Peace
- 7.That Wonderful Love the Father Has
- 8.Take This Ring With You
- 9.I'm a Child of God
- 10.I Will Ever Stand
- 11.I'm Climbing up Zion Hill
- 12.I've Got a New Name
- 13.He Brought Joy to My Soul
- 14.Don't You Want That Stone?
- 15.We're Going to Walk the Golden Streets
- 16.When I Lay My Burden Down
- 17.The Lord's Been Good to Me
- 18.Are You Ready?
- 19.You're Going to Need That Pure Religion
- 20.I'm Going Home to Rest
- 21.Climbing Jacob's Ladder
- 22.My Lord's Coming Soon
- 23.I Feel Like My Time Ain't Long
- 24.I Want to Come Home to See My Lord
Personnel: Sam Riley (tenor saxophone).
Audio Remasterer: Gerhard.
Liner Note Author: Ray Funk.
Recording information: 1928/1929.
The Bessemer Sunset Four (Dave Brown, Sam Riley, Wash Ivey, Pat Gaines) were an early Jubilee-styled gospel harmony group from Alabama who recorded 27 tracks for Vocalion Records between 1928 and 1930. With Dave Brown's strong lead vocals, and energetic four-part harmonies that at times sound like a barbershop quartet set loose at a Baptist prayer meeting, the Bessemer Sunset Four helped set the stage for the harder-driving soul sound of modern gospel quartets that began to emerge in the 1940s and 1950s. This group has a boundless charm, and everything they ever recorded is here, save for three tracks that Vocalion never issued. ~ Steve Leggett
Collectables Gospel Classics, Volume 3 (Limited) (CD)(2)
$1.98 on SALE
Collectables Gospel Classics, Volume 2 (Limited) (CD)(2)
$1.98 on SALE
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!