- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 44 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: July 24, 2012
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Zeitgeist Films
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Eurydice, She So Beloved, a rare 2007 Quay short
- Behind-the-scenes footage
- Original theatrical trailer
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.66
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Chicago Sun-Times - 03/29/1996
"...There is, to be sure, a stark and sometimes hypnotic beauty to the imagery. And the Quays are clever in their use of music, ranging from choral chants to bursts of free jazz..."
Sight and Sound - 07/01/2010
"[A]n exquisite, eerie and deliciously absurd mittel-european anti-fairytale..."
Brilliant English animators The Brothers Quay create their first feature-length live-action film in this tale of a dilapidated boarding school for the teaching of servants run by a brother and sister in which the curriculum is the repetition of one single lesson. When Jacob, a young man, enrolls in the school, he becomes entangled in the strange lives of the students and headmasters alike. Called by director Terry Gilliam, "The most visually beautiful and hauntingly humorous film I have seen in the last 300 years."