Lee Morgan Candy [RVG]
|You Save:||$0.39 (4% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: September 17, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Blue Note Records
Down Beat - p.763.5 stars out of 5 -- "[L]aced with the great pianist Sonny Clark and the snappy rhythm work of bassist Doug Watkins..."
- 2.Since I Fell For You
- 4.All The Way
- 5.Who Do You Love, I Hope
- 7.All At Once You Love Her
Personnel: Lee Morgan (trumpet); Sonny Clark (piano); Doug Watkins (bass); Art Taylor (drums).
Producer: Alfred Lion.
Reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna.
Recorded on November 18, 1957 & February 2, 1958. Includes liner notes by Robert Levin & Michael Cuscuna.
Japanese edition that is 24-bit digitally remastered.
Personnel: Lee Morgan (trumpet); Doug Watkins (bass guitar); Art Taylor (drums); Sonny Clark (piano).
Audio Remasterer: Rudy Van Gelder.
Liner Note Author: Bob Blumenthal.
Photographer: Francis Wolff.
A seminal figure in the golden age of Blue Note records, Lee Morgan was the definition of the '50s post-bop trumpet style and sound. His album CANDY from 1958 is a quintissential document of the easy swing and tight ensemble work that was prominant before the onset of hard-bop and free-jazz of the '60s. Morgan's nimble lines and smooth sound contrast perfectly with drummer Art Taylor's jumping solo spots in the opening title track. The bluesy ballad "Since I Fell For You" is just smokey and subtle enough to melt even the coldest heart. Jimmy Heath's "C.T.A." and Irving Berlin's "Who Do You Love, I Hope" are nice-and-quick workouts that find pianist Sonny Clarke and bassist Doug Watkins in perfect sync with Taylor in support of their agil leader. For Sinatra fans, Morgan's reading of the classic "All The Way" is a beautiful interpretation that would make Old Blue Eyes smile. Overall, this is a golden snapshot of one of the most stylish trumpeters in jazz.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best... (CD)(20)
$3.99 Super Savings
An Evening with Louis Armstrong at Pasadena Civic... (CD)(6)
$12.58 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE