Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 47 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: July 17, 2012
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: Criterion
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Audio Interview with Jarmusch from 2002
- Interview with Director of Photography Robby Müller from 2002
- Footage from the 1986 Cannes Film Festival, including a press conference with Jarmusch and actors John Lurie, featuring Commentary
- Sixteen Outtakes
- Music Video for Tom Waits' cover of Cole Porter's "It's All Right With Me," directed by Jarmusch
- Q&A with Jarmusch in which he responds to fans' questions
- Recordings of phone conversations between Jarmusch and Waits, Benigni, and Lurie
- Production Polaroids and location stills
- Isolated Music Track
- Optional French dub track, featuring Benigni
- Plus: An essay by critic Luc Sante
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"[My mother] ...used to say that [America] ...is a big melting pot, because when you bring it to boil, all the scum rises to the top."
- Bobbie (BILLIE NEAL)
Sight and Sound - 03/01/1987
"...A victory of form over content..."
New York Times - 09/19/1986
"...Jarmusch is an American original....[DOWN BY LAW is] an unqualified delight..."
New York Times - 12/28/1986
Included in the New York Times "10 BEST FILMS OF 1986"
Los Angeles Times - 10/03/1986
"...An inkily comic dream of a movie....Few contemporary directors use unoccupied space and wordless glances with the comic wallop of Jarmusch; he's perfected a kind of formalist shaggy-dog style utterly his own..."
Premiere - 06/01/2004
"LAW is Jarmusch's most satisfying work, using dry humor, great music, and especially the black-and-white cinematography..."
Entertainment Weekly - 07/20/2012
"Waits and Lurie, who also provide the film's jazzy soundtrack, are two of the heppest cats on the planet....[Benigni] gives this early indie its kick..." -- Grade: A
Essential Cinema |
Prison / Prisoners |
- Lisa Krueger (director of MANNY & LO and COMMITTED) was the film's musical coordinator.
- Other musical performers were: Marc Ribot (score performer/trumpet and banjo), Curtis Fowlkes (score performer/trombone), Doug Bowne (score performer/drums), E.J. Rodriguez (score performer/percussion), Tony Garnier (score performer/acoustic bass), Eugene Moye (score performer/cello) and Irma Thomas (song performer, "It's Only Raining").