The Beat Special Beat Service (2-CD + DVD)
Only 7 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$17.28 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.71 (14% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 3
- Released: July 10, 2012
- Label: Edsel Records UK
CMJ - 1/5/04, p.12Ranked #3 in CMJ's "Top 20 Most-Played Albums of 1983".
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1014 stars out of 5 -- "SBS gave vent to its creators' polymath skills across an array of brilliant pop schemes."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.I Confess
- 4.Sole Salvation
- 5.Spar Wid Me
- 6.Rotating Head
- 7.Save it For Later
- 8.She's Going
- 9.Pato and Roger a Go Talk
- 10.Sugar and Stress
- 11.End of the Party
- 12.Ackee 1-2-3
- 13.What's Your Best Thing
- 14.Save is For Later [Extended Version]
- 15.What's Your Best Thing [Dub Style]
- 16.Cool Entertainer
- 17.A Go Talk [Tappy Luppy Dub]
- 18.Cool Entertainer [Extended Version]
- 19.March of the Swivel Heads
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Jeanette [Extended Version]
- 2.March of the Swivel Heads [Extended Version]
- 3.I Confess [Dave Allen Remix]
- 4.It Makes Me Rock
- 5.Doors of Your Heart Live at Hammersmith Palais]
- 6.I Confess [Live at Hammersmith Palais]
- 7.Spar Wid Me [Live at Hammersmith Palais]
- 8.Save It For Later [Live at Hammersmith Palais]
- 9.Mirror in the Bathroom [Live at Hammersmith Palais]
- 10.Can't Get Used To Losing You [1983 Remix]
- 11.Ackee 1-2-3 [Jellybean Benitez Nike Mix]
- 12.Can't Get Used To Losing You [Extended 1983 Remix]
- 13.I Confess [United States of America Remix]
- 14.Spar Wid Me [John Peel BBC Sessions, 1982]
- 15.She's Going [John Peel BBC Sessions, 1982]
- 16.Save It For Later [John Peel BBC Sessions, 1982]
- 17.Sole Salvation [John Peel BBC Sessions, 1982]
- 18.Pato and Roger a Go Talk [John Peel BBC Sessions, 1982]
- 19.End of the Party [John Peel BBC Sessions, 1982]
- 20.Night and Day [David Jensen Show, 1982]
Personnel: Dave Wakeling (vocals, guitar); Ranking Roger (vocals, percussion); Andy Cox (guitar, mandolin); David Steele (banjo); Jack Emblow (accordion); Wesley Magoogan (clarinet, saxophone); Saxa (saxophone); Dave Lord, Steve Sidwell (trumpet); Vince Sullivan (trombone); Dave Blockhead (piano, keyboards); Bob Sargeant (marimba); Everett Morton (drums); M. Mishra (tabla); Mark Fox (percussion).
Liner Note Author: Rhoda Dakar.
Recording information: Gateshead International Stadium (04/11/1982); Maida Vale Studio 5 (04/11/1982); The Roundhouse Studios, London (04/11/1982); Gateshead International Stadium (07/31/1982); Maida Vale Studio 5 (07/31/1982); The Roundhouse Studios, London (07/31/1982).
Photographers: Robert Brown ; Adrian Boot; Bruce Fleming.
SPECIAL BEAT SERVICE was the English Beat's third and final album. Unlike the high-spirited ska-pop of the band's debut, or its reggae- and dub-flavored second album, SPECIAL BEAT SERVICE is a catch-all effort, featuring a wide variety of styles that range from the samba-flavored pop of "I Confess" to the raw toasting of "Spar Wid Me."
SPECIAL BEAT SERVICE features many of the English Beat's finest performances. The album's centerpiece is the infectious "Save It for Later," a simple three-chord pop song that floats on a bed of chiming rhythm guitars, churning cellos, and a buoyant sax solo from the band's 60 year-old sax player, Saxa. Other highlights include the pulsating ska-pop of "Sole Salvation" (which recalls the sound that band members David Steele and Andy Cox would explore in their next band, the Fine Young Cannibals) and "End of the Party," a gorgeous ballad that gives the group a chance to show off its ability to craft delicate, emotionally charged pop. While not the English Beat's finest moment (that honor belongs to the band's brilliant debut, JUST CAN'T STOP IT), SPECIAL BEAT SERVICE is an excellent album by one of the most influential bands to emerge from England's 1980 ska revival.
The English BeatLive! at the US Festival: September 3, 1982 & May 28, 1983...
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 31 ratings.
Based on 31 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Walking in the Sunshine: The Best of Bad Manners (2-CD)
$10.83 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Southern Nights: Classic Country Crossovers (2CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Afternoon Delight: 70's Romance (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE