- Number of Discs: 3
- Released: July 10, 2012
- Label: Edsel Records UK
Spin - p.140
"[T]he Beat always had the best songs. Their debut skanks nonstop..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Mirror in the Bathroom
- 2.Hands Off... She's Mine
- 3.Two Swords
- 4.Twist & Crawl
- 5.Rough Rider
- 6.Click Click
- 7.Big Shot
- 8.Whine & Grine / Stand Down Margaret
- 9.Noise in This World
- 10.Can't Get Used To Losing You
- 11.Best Friend
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Tears of a Clown
- 2.Ranking Full Stop
- 3.Twist & Crawl [Extended Version]
- 4.Hands Off... She's Mine [Extended Version]
- 5.Stand Down Margaret [Dub]
- 6.Mirror in the Bathroom [Sure is Pure Mix]
- 7.Mirror in the Bathroom [Tic Tac Toe Mix]
- 8.Mirror in the Bathroom [Spike Stent Mix]
- 9.Dub in the Bathroom [Simon & Diamond Mix]
- 10.Just Can t Stop The Dub [Adelphi Mix]
- 11.Tears of a Clown [John Peel BBC Sessions, 1979]
- 12.Ranking Full Stop [John Peel BBC Sessions, 1979]
- 13.Click Click [John Peel BBC Sessions, 1979]
- 14.Mirror in the Bathroom [John Peel BBC Sessions, 1979]
- 15.Big Shot [John Peel BBC Sessions, 1979]
- 16.Hands Off... She's Mine [Mike Read Show, 1980]
- 17.Mirror in the Bathroom [Mike Read Show, 1980]
- 18.Rough Rider [Mike Read Show, 1980]
- 19.Twist & Crawl [Mike Read Show, 1980]
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.Hands Off... She's Mine [Video] [DVD]
- 2.Mirror in the Bathroom [Video] [DVD]
- 3.Best Friend [Video] [DVD]
- 4.Tears of a Clown [BBC Top of the Pops, 1979] [DVD]
- 5.Tears of a Clown [BBC Top of the Pops, 1980] [DVD]
- 6.Hands Off... She's Mine [BBC Top of the Pops, 1980] [DVD]
- 7.Mirror in the Bathroom [BBC Top of the Pops, 1980] [DVD]
- 8.Best Friend [BBC Top of the Pops, 1989] [DVD]
- 9.Alright Now [Live at Top Rank Suite, Birmingham] [DVD]
The English Beat: Saxa, Andy Cox, David Steele, Everett Moreton, Ranking Roger, Dave Wakeling.
Digitally remastered by Bob Sargeant (The Townhouse Studio, London, England).
Liner Note Author: Rhoda Dakar.
Recording information: Maida Vale Studio 4 (10/24/1979/01/17/1980); Top Rank Suite, Birmingham (10/24/1979/01/17/1980).
Photographers: Robert Brown ; Adrian Boot.
With the group's 1980 debut, I JUST CAN'T STOP IT, the English Beat single-handedly defined the high-spirited ska revival sound that later gained immense popularity in the late '90s. I JUST CAN'T STOP IT was a massively influential album that has aged better than anything recorded by contemporaries like the Specials and the Selecter. Unlike the more traditional Jamaican-flavored ska sounds offered by those bands, the English Beat was not afraid to acknowledge its pop and punk influences.
I JUST CAN'T STOP IT features 14 songs that range from a moving, straight-faced rendition of pop crooner Andy Williams' "Can't Get Used to Losing You," to the punky original "Click Click," where a furious bassline and slashing electric guitars race each other to the track's end. On "Mirror in the Bathroom" and "Twist and Crawl," the English Beat fuses deep bass groves, dub percussion, and gritty rhythm guitars with singer Dave Wakeling's bright pop melodies to create a joyful, exuberant sound that has rarely been duplicated. Packed with tremendous performances like an upbeat ska rendition of Smokey Robinson's "Tears of a Clown" and the bouncy ska-pop of "Best Friend," I JUST CAN'T STOP IT is a flawless album that is impossible to resist.