Niyaz Nine Heavens (2-CD)
Only 9 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$17.50 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.48 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Kamil Alipour ~ Moondance $12.92
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: June 24, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Six Degrees
Global Rhythm (Publication) (p.47) - "In a flawless mix of past and present -- one to move your tail, the other to feed your head -- NINE HEAVENS is a go-get, fitting in nicely between your Dead Can Dance and the works of magistra Hildegard von Bingen."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Beni Beni
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Tamana - (with Niyz)
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Feraghi - (with Niyz)
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Ishq-Love and the Veil - (with Niyz)
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Allah Mazare - (with Niyz)
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Iman - (with Niyz)
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Molk-E-Divan - (with Niyz)
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Hejran - (with Niyz)
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Sadrang - (with Niyz)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Allah Mazre
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Beni Beni - (with Niyz)
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Sadrang - (with Niyz)
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Tamana - (with Niyz)
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Feraghi-Song of Exile - (with Niyz)
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Hejran - (with Niyz)
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Ishq-Love and the Veil - (with Niyz)
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Molk-E-Divan - (with Niyz)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Ulas ™zdemir (vocals, baglama); Azam Ali (vocals, frame drum); Loga Ramin Torkian (electric guitar, saz, setar); Carmen Rizzo (keyboards, synthesizer, drums, programming); Miles Jay (upright bass); Satnam Ramgotra (tabla).
Audio Mixers: Loga Ramin Torkian; Azam Ali; Carmen Rizzo.
Liner Note Authors: Loga Ramin Torkian; Azam Ali.
Recording information: Istanbul, Turkey; Nandi Sound, Los Angeles, CA.
Photographer: Austin Young .
Translators: Ulas ™zdemir; Azam Ali.
Unknown Contributor Role: Azam Ali.
Arrangers: Loga Ramin Torkian; Sabahat Akkiraz; Azam Ali.
On their second outing, Niyaz are even more specific about what they're doing in both acoustic and electronic music. Their sound draws on traditional Turkish music, as exemplified by "Beni Beni," and music inspired by Iranian folk songs. By using two discs, one consisting of acoustic and the other of electronic versions of the same material, they really illustrate their approach. But what's most interesting is how subtle their electronic process is. It's still powered by percussion, like the acoustic versions, and voice and instruments still take center stage, but the careful programming and mixing provide for a changed atmosphere. In many cases the electronic tracks are not any more contemporary than their acoustic counterparts, but just different, offering a new perspective on the sound. There's a lot of rootedness in the music, and they use drones effectively, as well as lots of percussion around the simple melodies, with the basic trio filled out by guest musicians who are used judiciously. Singer Azam Ali is stunning throughout, a gentle powerhouse who acts as the glue to hold it all together. In fact, this is more than just an interesting release; it's an important way forward for Middle Eastern music. ~ Chris Nickson
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 31 ratings.
Based on 31 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
99¢ on SALE