The Sound of Philadelphia: Gamble & Huff's Greatest Hits
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$0.79 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Released: March 4, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sony
- 1.Love Train - The O'Jays
- 2.Back Stabbers - The O'Jays
- 3.If You Don't Know Me By Now - Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
- 4.Love I Lost, The - Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
- 5.T.S.O.P. (The Sound Of Philadelphia) - MFSB
- 6.Me And Mrs. Jones - Billy Paul
- 7.When Will I See You Again - The Three Degrees
- 8.Wake Up Everybody - Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
- 9.Do It Any Way You Wanna - The Peoples Choice
- 10.I'll Always Love My Mama - The Intruders
- 11.Use To Be My Girl - The O'Jays
- 12.You'll Never Find Another - Lou Rawls
- 13.Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now - McFadden & Whitehead
- 14.You Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else - The Jones Girls
- 15.Close The Door - Teddy Pendergrass
- 16.If Only You Knew - Patti LaBelle
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Dennis Harris , Norman Harris, Roland Chambers, Anthony Bell, Bobby Eli, Cecil Womack (guitar); Sam Reed (saxophone); Leon Huff (piano, Fender Rhodes piano, keyboards, background vocals); Lenny Pakula (organ); Thom Bell (keyboards, background vocals); Dexter Wansel, Jerry Cohen, Ron Kersey, Victor Carstarphen, Barry J. Eastmond (keyboards); Vince Montana (vibraphone); Karl Chambers, Keith Benson, Earl Young, Quinton Joseph, Charlie Collins (drums); David Cruse, Larry Washington (congas, bongos, hand claps, percussion); Evette Benton, Barbara Ingram, Carla Benson, Carl Heim, Joseph B. Jefferson, Kenny Gamble (background vocals).
Recording information: Sigma Sound Studio, Philadelphia, PA.
Authors: Kenny Gamble; Leon Huff .
Photographer: Don Hunstein.
Arrangers: Bobby Martin ; Frankie Brunson; Jack Faith; Leon Huff ; Thom Bell.
There are a number of Philly Soul compilations on the market, and while SOUND OF PHILADELPHIA: GAMBLE AND HUFF'S GREATEST HITS covers a lot of familiar ground in a short space (the disc contains 16 tracks), it's still one of the best around. Usual suspects the O'Jays, Teddy Pendergrass, the Intruders, and Patti LaBelle all make appearances, performing classics such as "Love Train," "Close the Door," "I'll Always Love My Mama," and "If Only You Knew," respectively.
The set also works beautifully as a testament to the legacy of Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff. The masterminds behind the lush, sophisticated, string-laden R&B sound, Gamble and Huff wrote and produced each of the featured tracks, making SOUND OF PHILADELPHIA as much a nod to the duo's achievement as it is a collection of R&B gems.
Brooks and Dunn - The Greatest Hits Video Collection (DVD)
$12.50 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 11 ratings.
Based on 11 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE