The Flaming Lips The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.03 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.35 (30% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 26, 2012
- Label: Warner Bros / WEA
Billboard (p.48) - "[T]heir 10-minute version of 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face,' with Erykah Badu on freak-soul vocal duty, reminds you of what a sentimental softie Wayne Coyne can be."
Q (Magazine) - p.1003 stars out of 5 -- "It's Erykah Badu's shimmering, apocalyptic reinvention of Roberta Flack's 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' that shines brightest."
Uncut (magazine) - p.71"There's shouty motorik and dreamy ballads, while slots from Jim James and Nick Cave fulfill our desire for distorted guitar riffage. A terrific package."
- 1.2012 (You Must Be Upgraded) - (featuring Ke$ha / Biz Markie)
- 2.Ashes in the Air - (featuring Bon Iver)
- 3.Helping the Retarded to Know God - (featuring Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros)
- 4.Supermom Made Me Want to Pee - (featuring Prefuse 73)
- 5.Children of the Moon - (featuring Tame Impala)
- 6.That Ain't My Trip - (featuring Jim James)
- 7.You, Man? Human??? - (featuring Nick Cave)
- 8.I'm Working at NASA on Acid - (featuring Lightning Bolt)
- 9.Do It! - (featuring Plastic Ono Band / Yoko Ono)
- 10.Is David Bowie Dying - (featuring Neon Indian)
- 11.First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, The - (featuring Erykah Badu)
- 12.Girl, You're So Weird - (featuring New Fumes)
- 13.Tasered and Maced - (featuring Aaron Behrens)
After the release of their freaked-out twelfth album, Embryonic, the Flaming Lips went on a predictably unpredictable musical bender. Rather than just getting back to it and putting out another full-length, the band seemed to be following whatever flights of fancy came their way, first covering Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety before embarking on a string of psychedelic collaborations released in giant gummy skulls, ultra-limited vinyl, candy fetuses, and even actual human skulls. While getting hold of a lot of these limited-edition EPs generally required some combination of dedication, luck, and money (with the human skulls containing the bands 24-hour long song costing $5,000 each), the Lips brought a lot of these hard to find team-ups, as well as a host of new collaborations, to the masses with the 2012 release of The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends. Originally released on limited, multi-colored vinyl for Record Store Day 2012, the spaced-out compilation has also seen a wider release on compact disc, allowing people the opportunity to experience previously hard-to-own tracks like "Is David Bowie Dying," "Supermoon Made Me Want to Pee," and "I'm Working at NASA on Acid?," which feature Neon Indian, Prefuse 73, and Lightning Bolt, respectively. The compilation also finds the Lips working with a host of guests that runs from the expected (Tame Impala, Plastic Ono Band) to the downright strange (Biz Markie, Ke$ha). The high point of the album is the cover of the iconic "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face," which finds the band working with Erykah Badu to transform the song into a haunting and glacial, ten-minute shoegaze epic. The stunning cover is the most beautiful and cohesive on what is an otherwise (understandably) uneven collection which, while definitely appealing to hardcore fans, might be a bit too out there for casual listeners. ~ Gregory Heaney
The Flaming LipsThe Flaming Lips and Stardeath and White Dwarfs with Henry...
The Flaming LipsThe Flaming Lips And Stardeath And White Dwarfs With Henry...
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Burl Ives The Best of Little Bitty Tear (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - For Lovers Only, Volume 4 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Freddy Fender Before The Next Teardrop Falls (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE