Bobby Day Rockin Robin: The Best of Bobby Day
|You Save:||$2.06 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Mickey Champion ~ Bam a Lam: The R&B Recordings 1950-1962 ~ $12.44
- by The Cadillacs ~ For Collectors Only (3-CD) ~ $16.98
- by The Cadillacs ~ For Collectors Only (3-CD) (Audio Cassette) ~ $3.98 (Save 67%)
- by The Platters ~ The Magic Touch: An Anthology (2-CD) ~ $18.07
- by Dee Clark ~ Raindrops ~ $8.06
- Released: March 4, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Ace Records UK
- 1.Rockin' Robin
- 2.Over and Over
- 3.Little Bitty Pretty One
- 4.The Bluebird Buzzard and the Oriole
- 5.Gee Whiz
- 6.Little Turtle Dove
- 7.You Made a Boo Boo
- 8.When the Swallows Come Back to Capistrano
- 9.Sweet Pea
- 10.That's My Desire
- 11.Gotta New Girl
- 12.Saving My Life for You
- 13.Ain't Gonna Cry No More
- 14.Chains of Love
- 15.Mr. and Mrs. Rock & Roll
- 16.When She Walks
- 17.Honeysuckle Baby
- 18.Sweet Little Thing
- 19.Say Yes
- 20.That's All T Want
- 21.Life Can Be Beautiful
- 22.I Need Help
- 23.What Fools We Mortals Be
- 24.King's Highway
- 25.Oop-I-Du-Pers Ball
- 26.Teenage Philosopher
- 27.Slow Poke Joe
- 28.Three Young Rebs from Georgia
Originally released on the Class and Rendezvous labels.
Personnel includes: Bobby Day, "Bob & Earl" featuring Earl Nelson, The Satellites, The Hollywood Flames, The Blossoms.
Recorded between 1957 and 1962.
Liner Note Author: Stuart Colman.
Is this the ultimate Bobby Day compilation? With 28 songs from the late '50s and early '60s, including half a dozen that he did as part of Bob & Earl and detailed track by track liner notes, you would think so. Even admitting that he was a fine early rock & roll singer, 28 songs by Day might be too much, though. The fact is that a good number of the singles collected here sounded similar to each other, and sometimes seemed like strained attempts to make derivative knockoffs of his best-known hits, the great "Rockin' Robin," "Over and Over," and the original version of "Little Bitty Pretty One" (which are the first three cuts on the CD). Still, it has its interest as a document of five years or so in the career of a guy who was not so much an R&B performer adapting to trends, as many in the early Los Angeles rock scene were, as someone who made records that were rock & roll, not R&B in the transition to rock & roll. For standouts in the track lineup, you might want to hear Bob & Earl's original 1958 version of the ballad "Gee Whiz," which would be a Top Thirty hit in 1961 for the Innocents. There are a few other ballads throughout the set, but Day's forte was actually up-tempo rock & roll, even though his likable, oh so slightly raw-edged vocals were more interesting than the (save for the three hits) often generic material. The 1962 obscurity "Oop-I-Du-Pers-Ball" has to rate as one of the more eccentric twist records of the early '60s, Day's all-out raucous vocals transcending to some degree the trivial novelty that the song actually was. Three of the songs are previously unissued alternate takes. ~ Richie Unterberger
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 - Disc 3 (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 (6-CD Box Set)
$12.73 LABOR DAY
Top of The Pop Hits - The 50s (6-CD Box Set / Cardboard...
$19.12 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Doo Wop genre:
- Various Artists 100 Greatest Doo Wop Hits (4-CD) ~ $21.23 LABOR DAY
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $5.93 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Doo Wop Themes, Volume 1 - Girls, Part 1 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Channels I Really Love You / What Do You Do (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Doo Wop, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE