- Released: November 27, 2000
- Label: Ace Records UK
- 1.Bells Are Tolling
- 2.What Are They Doing in Heaven Today?
- 3.Memories of My Mother
- 4.Every Knee Has Got to Bow
- 5.Don't Let Nobody Turn You Around
- 6.Wait on the Lord AKA He's My Rock, My Sword, My Shield AKA Wait on ...
- 7.I John Saw the Number
- 8.In the Old Time Way
- 9.At the Gates of the City
- 10.My Work on Earth Will Soon Be Done
- 11.I'll Be So Happy [AKA If I Could Hear My Mother Pray Again]
- 12.Hide Me in Thy Bosom
Includes liner notes by Opal Nations.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Liner Note Author: Opal Nations.
Recording information: 1960.
Arranger: The Fairfield Four.
This 1962 LP was actually made in 1960, and was the first time the group recorded with a rhythm section. At this point, the Fairfield Four's ever-changing lineup was comprised of Henry Brown, David Aaron, Willie Williams, and Joseph Henderson. At least, that's what the liner notes on the original LP say; according to the liner notes of the 2000 CD reissue on Ace, most of the leads are taken by Clarence Mills and the Reverend Sam McCrary. Bass singer Henderson, who also played guitar, was in fact the Joe Henderson who would have a Top Ten pop hit in 1962 with "Snap Your Fingers." Regardless of who sang what, The Bells Are Tolling is a good gospel record with some trumpet-swallowing leads, particularly on "Don't Let Nobody Turn You Around." Not many copies were pressed the first time around, and although it was reissued in 1973 as The Famous Fairfield Four With Rev. Samuel McCrary, it took the 2000 Ace CD reissue to make this album easy to find. ~ Richie Unterberger