- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 42 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 7, 2009
- Originally Released: 1936
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono - English
- Subtitles: English, SDH, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 10/06/1995
"...Historically famous as the first outdoor movie shot in full three-color Technicolor..."
This adaptation of John Fox Jr.'s novel was the first feature to be shot outdoors in Technicolor. It tells the tale of a railroad engineer who inadvertently fans the flames of an ancient family feud when he arrives to build a line through the Blue Ridge Mountains. Academy Award Nominations: Best Original Song ("A Melody From the Sky").
The story of two feuding mountain families -- the Tollivers and the Falins -- and the tensions that flare up between them when young Buddy Tolliver turns up murdered. Complicating matters is an engineer visiting from the big city. While making plans to run a railroad through the mountains, the city slicker falls in love with one of the hillbilly's daughters.
- This is the first film to be shot entirely on location in three-strip Technicolor.