Freddie King Blues Hero
|CYBER SALE:||$16.19 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.34 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 1, 1993
- Label: Ace Records UK
- 1.Hide Away
- 2.Lonesome Whistle Blues
- 4.I'm Tore Down
- 5.See See Baby
- 6.Christmas Tears
- 7.You've Got to Love Her With a Feeling
- 8.Have You Ever Loved a Woman
- 9.You Know That You Love Me (But You Never Tell Me So)
- 10.I Love the Woman
- 11.It's Too Bad (Things Are Going So Tough)
- 13.If You Believe (In What You Do)
- 14.Takin' Care of Business
- 16.Sittin' on the Boat Dock
- 17.Side Tracked
- 18.What About Love
- 19.Let the Good Times Roll
- 20.Just Pickin'
- 21.I'm on My Way to Atlanta
- 22.In the Open
- 23.Welfare (Turns Its Back on You)
- 24.She Put the Whammy on Me
BLUES GUITAR HERO: THE EARLY YEARS contains King label tracks from the 1960s.
Personnel: Freddie King (vocals, guitar).
This has 24 sides that King did for Federal in the early 1960s, all but two of them from 1961 and 1962, and all but one released on singles. Half of this appears on Rhino's King retrospective Hide Away: The Best of Freddy King, which has a slightly more astute track selection, so if you have that and feel like that's sufficient Freddy King for your library, you'll probably give this a pass. If, however, you want more King from his best period, this is certainly worth checking out. Included is a moderate 1961 R&B hit, "Christmas Tears," that doesn't appear on the Rhino comp, and is slower and more piano-based than much of his output during the era. As for the other items on the disc that are on the obscure side, they tend to be more derivative of non-blues R&B trends, like black vocal groups and New Orleans rock & roll, than King's best and most smoking sides were. On the other hand, cuts like "Takin' Care of Business" and the instrumental "Side Tracked" deliver the stinging King guitar licks that were his best assets, and his blues guitar is in fact present to some degree on everything. "(The Welfare) Turns Its Back on You" is an unusual stride into socially conscious material, and after listening to King's high vocal phrasing on "What About Love," it wouldn't be at all surprising to learn that it might have influenced the young Stevie Winwood. ~ Richie Unterberger
The Very Best of King / Federal / Deluxe, Volume 1 (CD)
$10.38 CYBER SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
It's Hard But It's Fair: King Hits and Rarities (CD)
$12.35 CYBER SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $5.98 CYBER SALE