- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 2 hours, 5 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 3, 2012
- Originally Released: 1980
- Label: Sony Pictures Home
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"It was like Beethoven was showin' me a way out of the ghetto."
- Jerry DiSalvo (JOSEPH CALI), explaining to his mother (DELLA SALVI) why he lied to the press about his Bronx upbringing.
Description by OLDIES.com:
Richard Dreyfuss and Amy Irving are two classically trained concert pianists who find themselves both competing for one of the most prestigious awards in the music world. The last thing they need in their lives is to fall in love, but when they do, how will it affect the greatest professional moment of their lives? Newly remastered.
Pianists competing for a prestigious award fall in love, and it doesn't seem fair in love and war. Academy Award Nominations: Best Original Song ("People Alone"), Best Film Editing.
Two piano players fall in love while competing for the same prize in an important San Francisco competition.
Heidi Schoonover and Paul Dietrich met each other once before, at another contest, but now their mutual attraction is so strong that they get romantically involved despite being opponents.
At first, Paul tries to avoid getting serious about Heidi. Because he's older than the other piano players, he views the competition as his last chance to become a success in the world of classical music. But Paul eventually gives in and the two become deeply involved. Standing in their way, however, is Heidi's piano teacher, Greta Vandemann, who tells her student that she must sacrifice everything for the sake of her music.
Meanwhile, the other finalists also desperately try to pull off a victory; they include the wealthy Michael Humphries, Russian prodigy Tatiana Baronov, and Jerry DiSalvo, who sees the competition as his way out of a life of poverty in the Bronx.
Who will win the competition' And will Paul and Heidi be able to keep their love alive'
Personal Triumph |
- The film marked the directorial debut for screenwriter Joel Oliansky.
- Released theatrically in the USA on December 3, 1980.
- Color by Technicolor.
- Additional cast: Ty Henderson (Michael Humphries); Vickie Kriegler (Tatiana Baronov); Adam Stern (Mark Landau); Bea Silvern (Mme. Gorshev); Philip Sterling (Mr. Dietrich); Gloria Stroock (Mrs. Dietrich); and Della Salvi (Mrs. DiSalvo).
- Additional credits: Alberto Ginastera (source composer); Eduardo Delgado, Ralph Grierson, Lincoln Mayorga, Daniel Pollack, and Chester B. Swiatowski (music performers); Jean Evensen Shaw (piano instructor-music consultant); and Richard F. Kline (lighting).
- Pianists Pollack and Swiatowski dubbed the piano playing of Irving and Dreyfuss.
This product is made-on-demand by the manufacturer using DVD-R recordable media.
Almost all DVD players can play DVD-Rs (except for some older models made before 2000) -
please consult your owner's manual for formats compatible with your player.
These DVD-Rs may not play on all computers or DVD player/recorders.
To address this, the manufacturer recommends viewing this product on a DVD player
that does not have recording capability.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 28,821
- UPC: 043396404946
- Shipping Weight: 0.16/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item