Charlie Feathers Rockabilly Kings
Only 6 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$12.35 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.64 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 4, 2005
- Label: Ace Records UK
- 1.One Hand Loose - Charlie Feathers
- 2.Nobody's Woman - Charlie Feathers
- 3.I Can't Hardly Stand It - Charlie Feathers
- 4.Too Much Alike - Charlie Feathers
- 5.When You Come Around - Charlie Feathers
- 6.When You Decide - Charlie Feathers
- 7.Everybody's Lovin' My Baby - Charlie Feathers
- 8.Bottle to the Baby - Charlie Feathers
- 9.Grandaddy's Rockin' - Mac Curtis
- 10.Goosebumps - Mac Curtis
- 11.Just So You Call Me - Mac Curtis
- 12.That Ain't Nothin' But Right - Mac Curtis
- 13.What You Want - Mac Curtis
- 14.Half Hearted Love - Mac Curtis
- 15.You Ain't Treatin' Me Right - Mac Curtis
- 16.If I Had Me a Woman - Mac Curtis
- 17.Low Road - Charlie Feathers
- 18.Don't You Love Me - Mac Curtis
- 19.Say So - Mac Curtis
- 20.Little Miss Linda - Mac Curtis
- 21.Half Hearted Love - Charlie Feathers
- 22.Bottle to the Baby [Alternate Take][*] - Charlie Feathers
- 23.I Can't Hardly Stand It [Alternate Take][*] - Charlie Feathers
- 24.One Hand Loose [Alternate Take][*] - Charlie Feathers
- 25.Everybody's Lovin' My Baby [Alternate Take][*] - Charlie Feathers
- 26.Too Much Alike [Alternate Take][*] - Charlie Feathers
Personnel: Charlie Feathers (vocals, guitar).
Liner Note Author: Brian Nevill.
Recording information: 1956-1958.
Author: Mac Curtis.
Charlie Feathers was one of the truly singular talents of the first era of rockabilly, enough so that even a visionary like Sam Phillips wasn't sure what to do with the guy. While Feathers recorded some superb country material for Phillips' Sun and Flip labels, he had to wait until he hooked up with the Cincinnati-based King label to truly rock the way he wanted, and the eight sides he cut for them in 1956 and 1957 were the cornerstone of his reputation for most of the rest of his life. In 1974, the U.K. branch of Polydor Records paired up Feathers' eight King recordings with eight cuts from fellow rockabilly cult figure and King signee Mac Curtis and released the package as Rockabilly Kings. The Feathers sides are the top-shelf stuff here; the primal swing of "Bottle to the Baby" and "One Hand Loose," the hiccupping menace of "Can't Hardly Stand It," and the country-accented stroll of "Too Much Alike" are as good as this stuff gets, and Jerry Huffman's gutsy, elemental lead guitar is a superb match for the quirky details of Feathers' voice. By comparison, Mac Curtis' recordings aren't quite as impressive, but taken on their own merits, they're great stuff. Curtis was a laid-back journeyman rockabilly with a strong country-style voice, and the easygoing shuffle of "Granddaddy's Rockin'" and "Just So You Call Me" is cool but satisfying, while the anthemic "That Ain't Nothin' but Right" and "If I Had Me a Woman" confirm he could hit harder and still connect. At a time when many fans were just starting to rediscover rockabilly, Rockabilly Kings celebrated the work of two worthy but lesser-known talents, and proved Sun wasn't the only label that put out worthy first-generation rock. [The 2005 CD reissue improves on the original, tacking on four bonus selections and an unreleased outtake from Mac Curtis along with five alternate takes from Charlie Feathers; while this isn't as essential for Feathers fans thanks to Revenant's excellent career overview Get With It, it's still great listening for anyone who digs real first-generation rockabilly, and is your best one-stop introduction to Mac Curtis.] ~ Mark Deming
Sun Records: The Definitive Hits (2-CD Box Set+Book)
$19.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Master of the Cajun Accordion: The Classic Swallow... (CD)
$14.72 Super Savings
Sings American Folk Songs / Hand-Clapping Gospel Songs (CD)
$12.35 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Enchantment Golden Classics, Featuring "Gloria" (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE