Joseph Spence Good Morning Mr. Walker
- Released: March 30, 1993
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: Arhoolie Records
- 1.Out on the Rolling Sea
- 2.I See Mary and Joseph
- 3.Oh, How I Love Jesus
- 4.I Bid You Goodnight
- 5.Comin' in on a Wing and a Prayer
- 6.Good Morning Mr. Walker
- 7.The Glory of Love
- 8.Don't Let Nobody Burn Down Burma Road
- 9.Bye and Bye - (previously unreleased)
- 10.If I Had the Wings of a Dove - (previously unreleased)
- 11.All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name - (previously unreleased)
- 12.Don't Take Everybody to Be Your Friend - (previously unreleased)
- 13.Brown Skin Gal - (previously unreleased)
- 14.Neighbor Gone Home - (previously unreleased)
- 15.He Walks With Me - (previously unreleased)
- 16.Will the Serpent Be Unbroken - (previously unreleased)
- 17.Lord's My Shepherd, The - (previously unreleased)
- 18.Yellow Bird - (previously unreleased)
- 19.Sloop John B.
- 20.Be a Friend to Jesus
- 21.Mary Ann
Personnel: Joseph Spence (vocals, guitar).
Liner Note Author: Jack Viertel.
Recording information: 05/16/1971.
Photographer: Guy Droussart.
Arranger: Joseph Spence.
With over 60 minutes and 21 tracks, adding ten to the 1972 release, it would be hard to find a much more definitive collection of Bahamian Joseph Spence. Featuring a deep repertoire of folk songs, hymns, sea chanties, children's songs, and pop tunes, Spence's incredibly intricate, polyrhythmic guitar playing rivals that of the American country-blues greats. His vocal technique has to be heard to be believed, as it comes across as a strange combination of an exuberant grunt, a cough, and a laugh, all serving the purpose of accenting the melody carried by the guitar. Doubtless, Spence was an extremely unique and original artist, but it appears that his singing style was probably formed as much from his admitted lack of familiarity with the lyrics of his material as any visionary innovation, as he usually doesn't include much more than a fragment of a verse and a chorus with the rest being vocal improvisation. Still, Good Morning Mr. Walker, also including seven tracks from a live performance, is the perfect showcase for this rare talent. ~ Matt Fink
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
99¢ on SALE
Camp Meeting / Soul of The Gospel Harmonettes (CD) TOP 100 Bestseller
$1.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!