- Released: August 14, 2001
- Label: Gourd Music
- 1.Autumn Valley Suite: Prelude / Autumn In The Valley / Fiddlin' Bagpipes
- 2.A Week in January
- 3.Canary in a Coal Mine
- 4.Canterbury Air
- 5.Lament For Roe Owen O'Neill / Foggy Dew
- 6.Quartet In A (Andante) / Bagatelle
- 7.Pavan For a Sleeping Beauty
- 9.Gaelic Air / Forest Of Garth
- 10.Mountain Medley: Rain And Snow / June Apple / The Last Of Smith
- 11.Ninety-Pound Catfish
- 12.Battle Cry of Freedom
Personnel: Neal Hellman (mountain dulcimer), Bruce Abrams, William Coulter (guitars), Martin Simpson (slide guitar), Danny Carnahan (mandolin), Cheryl Ann Fulton (harp), Paul Hostetter (banjo, guitar, mandolin, harmonica), Shira Kammen, Joe Weed (violins), Robin Petrie (hammered dulcimer), Barry Phillips (cello, organ, harmonium, percussion), Lars Johannesson (flute), Shelley Phillips (oboe, English horn, recorder), Carl Rey (harmonica), Todd Phillips (bass).
Recorded at Bear Creek Studios, Santa Cruz, California in 1993. Includes liner notes by Gail Rich and Neal Hellman.
Autumn In the Valley offers an irresistable collection of upbeat old-timey favorites from Appalachia. Enjoy folk and classical treasures on a warm weave of mountain and hammered dulcimer, guitar, cello, violin, flute, harp, banjo, mandolin and more. Also, hauntingly beautiful Celtic airs and a delightful sprinkling of classical arrangements from Mozart to Ravel, plus a new crop of Hellman originals. Guest artists include Gourd favorites Joe Weed, Barry and Shelley Phillips, Robin Petrie and William Coulter. ~ MusD