Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 31 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 12, 2012
- Originally Released: 1971
- Label: Criterion
- Note: New audio commentary by Hal Ashby biographer Nick Dawson and producer Charles B. Mulvehill
- Illustrated audio excerpts from seminars by Ashby and writer-producer Colin Higgins
- New interview with songwriter Yusuf/Cat Stevens
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"You're so good with people."--Harold (Bud Cort)
"Aww, they're my species!"
- Maude (Ruth Gordon)
Entertainment Weekly - 05/23/2003
"...An acquired taste, but connoisseurs will discover a supremely endearing love story..."
This whimsical black comedy became a cult favorite, tapping into some inexplicable early 1970s zeitgeist. Harold is a rich teenager obsessed with slashed wrists, self-inflicted gunshot wounds, personal vivisection, drowning, hanging, and being burned alive--just to annoy his mother. Maude is a poor 79-year-old optimist who has a peerless affinity for all things living. Together they attend strangers' wakes and find in each other a most unlikely romantic partner.
Black Comedy |
Cult Film |
Essential Cinema |
- Theatrical release: December 20, 1971
- HAROLD AND MAUDE was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1997.
- Ruth Gordon's first movie appearance was in CAMILLE, in 1915.
- Colin Higgins's script was inspired by the thesis he wrote for UCLA's graduate screenwriting program.