Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 25 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: June 12, 2012
- Originally Released: 1925
- Label: Criterion
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: New Audio Commentary for the 1925 version by Chaplin biographer Jeffrey Vance
- Three new programs: Presenting "The Gold Rush," which traces the film's history and features filmmaker Kevin Brownlow and Vance; A Time of Innovation: Visual Effects in "The Gold Rush," featuring effects specialist Craig Barron and Chaplin Cinematographer Roland Totheroh; and Music by Charles Chaplin, featuring Conductor and Composer Timothy Brock
- Chaplin Today: "The Gold Rush" (2002), a short documentary featuring filmmaker Idrissa Quédraogo
- Four Trailers
- Plus: An Essay by critic Luc Sante and James Agee's review of the 1942 rerelease
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- DTS HD Master Audio
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 07/18/2003
"...THE GOLD RUSH is still Chaplin's most perfectly realized comedy and one of those rare movies that enchant anew no matter how many times you've seen it..."
Premiere - 08/01/2006
"[P]leasingly frantic and inventive..."
Empire - 09/01/2010
5 stars out of 5 -- "A lovely blend of comedy and tender poetry."
The Little Fellow journeys to the harsh and unforgiving land of Alaska in search of fortune in this classic silent comedy from Charlie Chaplin.
Essential Cinema |
- Premiered at Grauman's Egyptian Theater in Hollywood, California, June 26, 1925. Opened in New York City at the Strand Theater on August 15, 1925.
- THE GOLD RUSH was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1992.
- A silent film.
- Re-issued to theaters in April 1942. This laserdisc was taken from Chaplin's own prints of the 1942 revival.
- Laserdisc is part of the FoxVideo collection, "Chaplin: A Legacy of Laughter."
- Copyright 1925 Charles Chaplin. Copyright 1969 The Roy Export Company.