- Subtitles: English, Spanish
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 37 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 25, 2004
- Originally Released: 1957
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby 2.0 Mono - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Bonus Footage: "Movietone News"
- Theatrical Trailer
- "Fox War Classics"
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Academy Awards 1957 -
Best Special Effects
USA Today - 11/12/1993
"...The Oscar winner for special effects -- which anticipates DAS BOOT -- is one of the best..."
USA Today -
"[T]his Oscar winner for special effects is among the genre's best."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Robert Mitchum and Curt Jurgens star in this gripping World War II drama about an American destroyer and a German U-boat stalking each other at sea. As both men try to outthink and outmaneuver each other, the chase becomes a deadly chess game in which any mistake can bring instant defeat and death. Winner of the 1957 Academy Award for Best Special Effects, The Enemy Below marked the directorial debut of actor Dick Powell.
It's Robert Mitchum vs. Curt Jurgens as the commanders of an American destroyer and a German U-boat play a deadly game of cat and mouse. Noted for its underwater effects. THE ENEMY BELOW was directed by musical comedy star Dick Powell, who became a producer/director for feature films and for Four Star Television.
- Shot in CinemaScope.
- Additional cast: Alan Dexter (Mackeson); Jeff Daley (Corky); David Bair (Ellis); Joe Di Reda (Robbins); Ralph Manza (Lieutenant Bonelli).