Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 41 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Touchstone / Disney
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 08/04/2000
"...Guilty fun is had by all..." -- 3 out of 4 stars
New York Times - 08/04/2000
"...[Ms. Perabo shows] spunk....COYOTE UGLY continues [the tradition of] FLASHDANCE..."
Box Office - 10/01/2000
"...[Perabo] is sweet and charming. She has the winsome appeal of a young Julia Roberts and carries her first starring role with grace..."
In COYOTE UGLY, an aspiring songwriter, Violet Sanford (Piper Perabo), leaves her small-town home and her supportive father (John Goodman) for New York City in hopes of starting a music career. But life in the big city is harder than she imagined. Feeling defeated, and unemployed, she hears about a job opening at a bar called Coyote Ugly, and persuades the bar owner, Lil (Mario Bello), to give her a chance among the bar's beautiful brigade of bartenders. When Violet arrives for work the bouncer tells her it's a quiet night, but when she goes inside the bar she is hit by a wall of throbbing music and howling men. Two women are atop the bar, pulling a customer back over it, pulling up his shirt, and pouring beer on his chest. Welcome to COYOTE UGLY. How will Violet deal with the bar' How will it deal with her' What of her songwriting plans' Inside this raucous, raunchy movie, coproduced by Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer (FLASHDANCE), is a sweet romance between Violet and Kevin (Adam Garcia), a refreshing escape from the chaos of the bar.
New York City |
Romantic Comedy |
- Theatrical release: August 4, 2000.
- Locations for COYCOTE UGLY included South Amboy, New Jersey; Atlantic Beach, New York; and New York City, New York.
- Maria Bello (who plays the bar owner, Lil) explains what "Coyote Ugly" means in the live video chat on the official COYOTE UGLY web site. She says, "Have you ever woken up sober after a one-night stand and you find the guy you're laying next to--he has your arm trapped under his body--he is so ugly you'd rather chew your arm off than risk waking him. Like a coyote in a trap. That's 'Coyote Ugly.'"
- Melanie Lynskey, who plays Gloria Violet's friend from South Amboy, is the young actress from New Zealand who co-starred with Kate Winslet in HEAVENLY CREATURES (1994) and played one of Drew Barrymore's sisters in EVER AFTER (1998).