Patrick Street Cornerboys
- Released: January 16, 1996
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Green Linnet
Sing Out! - 5-6-7/96, p.156"...Patrick Street's signature is the mirroring fiddle-accordion duets of Kevin Burke and Jackie Daly, as made manifest in an exciting opening set of jigs that are as good as any you're likely to hear....Patrick Street earns its exalted billings."
- 1.The White Petticoat / The Kerry Jig / Katy Is Waiting
- 2.Sweet Lisbweemore
- 3.Mike McDougall's / Paddy Canny's / Jim Keefe's
- 4.Devanney's Goat / The Leitrim Rover / Michael Ryan's
- 5.Moorlough Shore
- 6.The Kanturk Polka / Joe Burke's
- 7.Portarlington Jig / Billy McCormick's / Munster Buttermilk
- 8.Pity the Poor Hare Medley: On Yonder Hill / Merrily Tripping O'er The Plain / The Kilgrain Hare / Pity The Poor Hare
- 9.The Lighthouse / Neilie Boyle's
- 10.Down by Greer's Grove
- 11.Killanan's Fancy / The Dash To Portobello / Anna Maculeen
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Patrick Street: Ged Foley (guitar, smallpipes); Kevin Burke (fiddle); Jackie Daly (accordion); Andy Irvine.
In the '80s and '90s, artists ranging from Luka Bloom and Susan McKeown, to the Pogues, have done their part to keep Irish/Celtic music growing by combining it with rock and/or pop. But traditional Irish/Celtic music still has its place, and Patrick Street has been a solid and very consistent source of Celtic traditionalism. Street is to Bloom what Talip Ozkan is to Turkish pop -- the band keeps alive the musical traditions that paved the way for what today's innovators are doing. Corner Boys underscores the group's reliable nature. Turning its attention to time-honored jigs, reels and folk ballads, Street lives up to its reputation for excellence. Singer/bouzouki player Andy Irvine is as expressive and charismatic as ever on traditional ballads like "Moorlough Shore" and "Sweet Lisbweemore," and Kevin Burke has many inspired moments on the fiddle. Corner Boys isn't innovative or experimental, but it's richly satisfying. ~ Alex Henderson
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
American Songs of The Revolution & Civil War Era (CD)(2)
$1.98 on SALE
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 5-6 / Chain... (CD)(4)
$2.98 on SALE