Guide For The Married Man
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
- Languages: English, Spanish, French
- Subtitles: English, Spanish
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 31 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 6, 2005
- Originally Released: 1967
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Closed Captioned - English
- Mono - English, Spanish, French
- Stereo - English, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, Spanish - optional
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Walter Matthau & Robert Morse|
|Performer:||Joey Bishop, Wally Cox, Lucille Ball, Art Carney, Carl Reiner, Sid Caesar, Polly Bergen, Ben Blue, Sue Ane Langdon, Jayne Mansfield, Jeffrey Hunter, Phil Silvers, Jack Benny, Inger Stevens & Robert Morse|
|Directed by||Gene Kelly|
|Edited by||Dorothy Spencer|
|Screenwriting by||Frank Tarloff|
|Produced by||Frank McCarthy|
|Director of Photography:||Joseph MacDonald|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Director Gene Kelly demonstrates wonderful style and sophistication in this adult farce that stars Walter Matthau and Robert Morse as two husbands with one thing on their minds. Matthau is Paul Manning, a happily married "typical suburban male." Wanting other women but having no idea how to go about it, he turns to his friend, Ed (Morse), for a few tips on infidelity. And Ed willingly dishes up some of the funniest advice and anecdotes ever seen - brought to life by a top cast that includes Lucille Ball, Jack Benny, Joey Bishop, Sid Caesar, Art Carney, Phil Silvers and Jayne Mansfield. Despite its delicate subject matter, this wild, wicked comedy is executed with such charm and affection that it won strong critical praise and was one of the top moneymakers of its year.
Gene Kelly's light-footed comedy is a guide to the psyche of the suburban male, circa the mid-1960s. Walter Matthau is Paul Manning, a happily married father of one who is nonetheless intrigued by his pal Ed's many extramarital affairs. In a series of lessons and parables, Ed gives Paul a crash course in how to have the perfect affair while still being considerate of one's wife. Paul is fascinated and eager, but Ed urges caution so as to perfect the technique. When he thinks Paul is ready, Ed makes him do a "trial run," with Ed standing in for the hypothetical girl. Paul passes with flying colors, and when Ed gives him the go-ahead, a likely candidate seems to fall into his lap--literally. The movie is peppered with vignettes of Ed's cautionary tales, featuring cameos from countless Hollywood stars. Matthau is his usual brilliantly dry comic self in this tongue-in-cheek exploration of infidelity and marriage.
- At the time, a new movie classification--"A"--allowed producer Frank McCarthy to produce a comedy that condoned adultery.
- McCarthy specifically wanted Kelly to direct the film because he knew Kelly was well-liked enough in Hollywood to be able to procure the film's many cameos.
- At the time of filming, Walter Matthau was recovering from a recent heart attack.
- Majel Barrett, a former regular on the original STAR TREK series and wife of Gene Roddenberry, has a small role as Mrs. Fred V.
The Three Stooges - 6-Movie Set [Tin Case] (2-DVD)
$7.98 on SALE
Abbott & Costello Meet the Monsters Collection (2-DVD)
$16.09 Super Savings
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Blood of Ghastly Horror (Deluxe Collector's Ed.) (DVD)
$1.98 on SALE
Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up...
$1.98 on SALE
Redneck Zombies (20th Anniversary Ed.) (DVD + CD Soundtrack)
$1.98 on SALE