The Tannahill Weavers Land of Light
- Released: June 1, 1988
- Originally Released: 1988
- Label: Green Linnet
- 1.Lucy Cassidy / The Bletherskate / The Smith Of Chilliechassie
- 2.The Scottish Settler's Lament
- 3.David MacLean's Farewell To Oban / Dunrobin Castle / The Wise Maid / Iain's Jig
- 4.The Rovin' Heilandman
- 5.The Yellow Haired Laddie / Dream Angus
- 6.Land of Light
- 7.The Queen Amang The Heather / Mairi Anne MacInnes
- 8.Bustles and Bonnets
- 9.The American Stranger
- 10.Conon Bridge / Macbeth's Strathspey / Major David Manson / Mrs. MacPherson Of Inveran
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Roy Gullane (vocals, guitar, banjo, mandolin); Ross Kennedy (vocals, bouzouki, fiddle); Phil Smillie (vocals, flute, pan flute); Iain MacInnes (vocals, pipe); Dougie MacLean (fiddle).
Recording information: Castle Sound Studios; The Old School, Mid-Lothian, Scotland.
Unknown Contributor Role: Iain MacInnes.
After a brief experiment with electric instruments, the Tannies returned to a primarily acoustic approach on this album. As always, it's the singing that sets them apart most decisively from the competition: songs like "The Scottish Settler's Lament," "The Rovin' Heilandman" and the album's title track practically shimmer with the band's dense harmonies. Enjoyment of the instrumentals will hinge mainly on one's appreciation for the highland pipes, which are generally the core of the sound, though Phil Smillie's flute and whistle playing are also frequently out in front. Bandleader Roy Gullane is a fine songwriter, and contributes both the title track and "Bustles and Bows," a song decrying the whaling industry. ~ Rick Anderson
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE