by Various Artists
Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs (series)
- Released: October 25, 1990
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: Sony
- 2.The Little Things You Do Together
- 4.You Could Drive A Person Crazy
- 5.Have I Got A Girl For You / Someone Is Waiting
- 6.Another Hundred People
- 7.Getting Married Today
- 8.Side By Side By Side / What Would We Do Without You
- 9.Poor Baby / Tick Tock
- 11.The Ladies Who Lunch
- 12.Being Alive
Music and lyrics written by Stephen Sondheim.
Principal cast includes: Dean Jones (Robert); Donna McKechnie (Kathy); Barbara Barrie (Sarah); Charles Kimbrough (Harry); Elaine Stritch (Joanne); Pamela Myers (Marta); Susan Browning (April); Beth Howland (Amy).
Recorded at Columbia 30th Street Studios, New York, New York on May 2 & 3, 1970.
Composer/Lyricist: Stephen Sondheim.
Personnel: Dean Jones, Donna McKechnie, Elaine Stritch, Beth Howland, Steve Elmore, Katherine Burton, Merle Louise, George Coe, Susan Browning, Barbara Barrie, John Cunningham, Pamela Myers, Teri Ralston, Veanne Cox, Charles Braswell, Charles Kimbrough (vocals); Rebecca Young (viola).
Liner Note Author: Charles Burr.
Recording information: Hit Factory, New York, NY.
Arranger: Wally Harper.
Having learned from the best in the business, Stephen Sondheim broke the mold of the Broadway musical. After several less successful attempts to crack the big time, Sondheim finally did it in 1970 with COMPANY. Although virtually plotless and loaded with irony, the show was a huge success. The initial run lasted for 690 performances, and the production won six Tony Awards, including best music and best lyrics for the composer. The marathon recording sessions for the cast album were equally remarkable, and the whole drama was captured in a documentary film by D.A. Pennebaker.
While the subject matter was new to the musical stage, the music was thoroughly in the tradition, with baroque orchestrations, intricate ensemble numbers, and moving solos. The score turned out such classic Sondheim pieces as "Sorry-Grateful," "The Little Things You Do Together," and "The Ladies Who Lunch," and the cast was made up of Broadway's best, including Dean Jones, Barbara Barrie, Charles Kimbrough, and Elaine Stritch. COMPANY was an essential record from the day it was released, and the remastered CD version sounds as if it had been recorded yesterday.
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 35,755
- UPC: 074640355028
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Pop Vocal: Show Vocals Music Categories:
Harry Allen / Joe Cohn
Plays Music from South Pacific (CD)
$9.19 Super Savings
- Julie Andrews Broadway: The Music of Richard Rodgers (CD) ~ $17.08
- Julie Andrews Christmas With Julie Andrews (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Julie Andrews Little Bit of Broadway (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Julie Andrews / Rex Harrison
My Fair Lady (12 Bonus Tracks) (24Bit Remaster) O.S.T. (CD)
$13.58 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs series:
- Various Artists Vee-Jay: Very Best of Jazz, Volume 3 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Vee-Jay: Very Best of Jazz, Volume 5 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Vee-Jay: Very Best of Jazz, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Vee-Jay: Very Best of Jazz, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Vee-Jay: Very Best of Jazz, Volume 4 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE