Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs (series)
Only 10 copies left
|CYBER SALE:||$2.39 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$7.59 (76% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Bruce Barth ~ Daybreak ~ $13.99
- All "ZSM" coded CDs are in new and never-played condition. Most are sealed. However, product may have manufacturer's delete notch, drill hole, prior sale stickers, or worn or missing OUTER wrap.
- Released: October 1, 1991
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: GRP Records
- 1.Mr. J.C.
- 2.Midnight Silence
- 3.Rey, El
- 4.Sleepian Faith
- 7.When Will the Blues Leave?
- 8.Ana Maria
Personnel: Kenny Kirkland (piano, keyboards); Branford Marsalis (soprano & tenor saxophones); Charnett Moffet, Robert Hurst, Christian McBride (bass); Steve Berrios (drums, percussion); Jeff "Tain" Watts (drums); Don Alias (bongos, percussion); Jerry Gonzalez (congas, percussion).
Producers: Kenny Kirkland, Delfeayo Marsalis.
Principally recorded at BMG Studios A & B, New York, New York. Includes liner notes by Branford Marsalis.
It's a shame that Kenny Kirkland didn't record more albums as a leader. While his work is documented on many Marsalis brothers' records, with the pop singer Sting, and even on Dizzy Gillespie's '80s NEW FACES album, Kirkland recorded only one record under his own name. Before his premature death, the virtuoso pianist was undeniably one of the best jazz musicians of his generation.
Kirkland's soloing here is at once wild and sensitive, insightful and intimate. On his self-titled release, he demonstrates his wares best on tracks such as "Mr. J.C." a modal jam that showcases his ability to play not only with energy, but with unbridled fury. In contrast, on "Midnight Silence," the pianist displays his soft and delicate touch and superlative compositional skill. Keyboards augment the songs, giving Kirkland's music a modern flair. Don Alias' percussive talents add an Afro-Cuban touch to tunes such as "Celia," and "Criss Cross." Finally, on "Chance," Kirkland's playing is elegant and gentle; the dainty waltz feel, and Jeff Watts' warm brushwork, make this one of Kirkland's greatest recorded moments. A superb CD throughout--one laments Kenny Kirkland's loss with every beat.
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 4,614
- UPC: 011105965729
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs Product Series:
- 3-2 Get Funky The Return of the Funky Ones (CD) ~ $9.98 CYBER SALE
- A Voyage to the Rain Forest (1998) A Voyage to the Rain Forest (CD) ~ 79¢ CYBER SALE
- ABBA 18 Hits (CD) ~ $4.78 CYBER SALE
- Academy Of St. Martin In The Fields Mozart - Gallery Of Classics (CD) ~ $1.58 CYBER SALE
- Barbara Acklin 20 Greatest Hits (CD) ~ $11.98 CYBER SALE
Jazz Instrument: Piano Music Categories:
- Muhal Richard Abrams Vision Towards Essence (Live) (CD) ~ $19.69 CYBER SALE
- Joey Alexander My Favorite Things (CD) ~ $13.48 CYBER SALE
- Monty Alexander Concrete Jungle: The Music of Bob Marley (CD) ~ $10.56 CYBER SALE
- Monty Alexander / Ernest Ranglin Rocksteady (CD) ~ $17.08 CYBER SALE
- Monty Alexander Stir It up: The Music of Bob Marley (CD) ~ $9.99 CYBER SALE