- This product is manufactured on demand by Sony using DVD-R recordable media. Almost all DVD players can play DVD-Rs (except for some older models made before 2000) - please consult your owner's manual for formats compatible with your player. Sony DVD-Rs may not play on all computers or DVD player/recorders. This is normal. To address this we recommend viewing this product on a DVD player that does not have recording capability.
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: June 5, 2012
- Originally Released: 1984
- Label: Columbia Pictures / Screen Classics by Request
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Linda Purl &
Brian Croucher &
Francesca Romana Coluzzi
Description by OLDIES.com:
This fictionalized account of the city of Pompeii and its epic destruction, based on the 1834 novel, is a fascinating look at the historical city circa the birth of Christianity and the culture of those who lived in the Roman Empire of the time. This mini-series is filled with a rich cast of characters who depict the clashes of class, politics, sex, and religion in Pompeii -- thought by some to have been catalysts for the city's destruction.
Ned Beatty stars as the wealthy merchant Diomed, whose ambition is to climb beyond his status through politics and a well-made match for his daughter. Lesley-Anne Down is Chloe, a prostitute with a young child, who is one of the growing congregation of Christians following the priest Olinthus (Brian Blessed) in his secret masses, hidden from the persecuting Romans and their magistrate, Quintus (Anthony Quayle). Olivia Hussey plays Ione, the priestess of the temple whose beauty attracts both the cunningly evil Arbaces (Franco Nero) and the just Athenian, Glaucus (Nicholas Clay). Ernest Borgnine plays Marcus -- a former slave and gladiator -- who trains and provides wise counsel to the men who must kill or be killed, including Lydon (Duncan Regehr), who yearns to be free and purchase freedom for his father and Nydia (Linda Purl), a beautiful blind slave girl. Not to be overlooked is Laurence Olivier himself, who portrays the broken, embittered Gaius, who overlooks Pompeii at a Zeusian distance and alone knows its secret evils. Newly remastered.
This product is made-on-demand by the manufacturer using DVD-R recordable media.
Almost all DVD players can play DVD-Rs (except for some older models made before 2000) -
please consult your owner's manual for formats compatible with your player.
These DVD-Rs may not play on all computers or DVD player/recorders.
To address this, the manufacturer recommends viewing this product on a DVD player
that does not have recording capability.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 26,445
- UPC: 043396403116
- International Shipping: 1 item