Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 35 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: March 31, 2009
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Mono - French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: David Cronenberg - Director
- Alternate Scenes: Deleted Scenes
- High Definition Theatrical Trailers
- Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spots
- Interactive Games: BD-J Game - Fly
- Trivia Track
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Academy Awards 1986 -
Variety - 08/13/1986
"...[Cronenberg] is expertly able to create some shocking scenes....Visually intriguing..."
Los Angeles Times - 08/14/1986
"...THE FLY plunges deeper into the forbidding realm of genetic dysfunction with genuinely unsettling results....It unfolds with such eerie grandeur that it will leave you stoked with a creepy high for hours after you've left the theater..."
Total Film - 01/01/2004
"[T]ouching and humorous."
New York Times - 10/18/2005
"THE FLY explores hidden fears of sex and reproduction, but it also allows a tenderness to blossom between Mr. Goldblum and Ms. Davis that is touching and exceptional in his work."
Empire - 05/01/2008
"[T]his is a perfectly structured film....Typical of Cronenberg is the combination of graphic sickness and good humour that accompanies Brundle's metamorphosis..."
Ultimate DVD - 05/01/2008
5 stars out of 5 -- "Davis delivers one of her finest performances....It's easy to see how this masterpiece established Cronenberg as a bastion of the body-horror genre."
David Cronenberg's remake of the 1958 classic transcends its genre to become a moving portrait of a man and his lover attempting to come to terms with his physical disintegration. "The Fly" stars Jeff Goldblum as a spaced-out scientist who invents a genetic teleportation machine and accidentally transforms himself into a fly. In the horrifyingly graphic detail that is his trademark, Cronenberg depicts the scientist's painful mutation from human into insect. What gives the film its tragic dimension is the emotional depth of the relationship between the scientist and his journalist girlfriend (Geena Davis) as she witnesses his slow, painful metamorphosis.
Love Story |
- Shot on location in Toronto, Ontario, Canada; color by DeLuxe.